Thread: Help diagnosing problem

Help diagnosing problem

Some background: 1968 Coupe, 2.2 S with Webers, Perma-tune box. Car was warm and performing well when it suddenly died. I pulled over and tried to restart it. It cranked, but wouldn't start. Strong gas smell so I assume the fuel pump is OK. Sat for a few minutes and tried again. Car started and ran for 10-15 seconds then died. I checked all fuses and connections and after about 5 minutes I tried again. It started and ran, but had a few misses then car ran normally getting me to my destination about 10 miles away.

Any ideas where to start on tracking this down?

Thanks
    Peter M
    Last edited by PeterM1965; 06-02-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    1968 Coupe
    901/10 with 2.2 Ps and Cs
    Webers
    911/01
    7s on all corners
    Now Sold

it would seem to be on the spark side. are you confident the charging system is working? I am not an expert by any means but I would suggest you start with a careful review of the charging system. Make sure the battery is good, that the alternator is working properly, etc. After that, I'd check for consistent spark. I assume you have a single coil set up (single ignition).

Yes, single ignition. Also the tach needle is very bouncy.
    1968 Coupe
    Webers
    911/01
    7s on all corners
    Now Sold

ok. so start with charging system. work your way to the coil and then distributor rotor. Again, I am not the guru on this board, many (most) are better. But start with charging system.

member #1515
    First I'd try cleaning the fuel filter at the bottom of the tank. Then I'd check ground on your ignition and make sure the points have not closed as your bouncing tach can indicate both of these problems.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Can you swap in a Bosch CDI? Permatunes are known to show initial signs of failure in that way - they reach operating temp and then stop working, you rest it a while and then they go for a bit more, repeat cycle.

Larry

'71E Targa

A Bosch CDI is on my to do list.

I was able to diagnose the problem as a loose distributor cap. The cap was wobbling around and had some impact damage from the rotor. Tightened up the clamps and the car us running normally, though I ordered a new cap and rotor and will replace.

Thanks to all who offered advice.
    1968 Coupe
    Webers
    911/01
    7s on all corners
    Now Sold