Thread: repro gas tanks vs reconditioned original: opinions?

repro gas tanks vs reconditioned original: opinions?

Does anyone have any experiences they can share on the repro gas tanks that are available from various retailers? Is the fit that bad that some tinkering is required? Not sure if I should look into a refurbished one when interior condition of a used tank is not necessarily fully known- any info would be appreciated.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

I do not know specifically about the tanks, but I would always rather have a refurbished original part than any repro
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

The two high quality repops (Tasker?) I've purchased had no fitment issues at all, any minor cosmetic differences from an original won't be seen anyway. Glad they're available for a reasonable price; when it comes to something like old fuel tanks, sealing jobs are often less than great. I value safety and peace of mind more than originality.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

You never know with a used one. I took my to a radiator shop where he fixed a leak. I then etched the inside and then sealed the inside with POR 50 (number migh be wrong but the correct stuff for the job). There is a kit POR sells for exactly this. Did it correectly. The inside of the tank looked really good to begin with. Well a few years later it is leaking again.

Had I to do over again I would have gone with the new, repro.

Chris

73 911 E