Thread: Need help! R quarter window injection plastic install

Need help! R quarter window injection plastic install

My first real build and quite a build it became..I have talked to a few people but have no clear path to take for the installation of the injection plastic quarter windows....It has been suggested to me to glue in, caulk in, fabricate brackets from the inside, I want to do the right type of install and have read with no mention of the rear quarter installation. I have never had the privilege to examine a real R in person...the car is in final sorting...

Kind regards to all
    Charles V.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

still singing "No body knows the trouble Ive been through..." does anybody want to help Johnny Cash

The have to be glued in, but the frame of the window which is looking inside should be painted black before!
    Porsche 911 S 1971 Kremer race car

I like the look of them installed in the frame for a cleaner apperance
    takes a little time cutting down to size -but worth the effort.
    magnus
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Charles, I read the original R's are glued in. Your alternative would be cutting them down and putting them in stock frames.

Post more details! What are the body panels made of? Do I see flares? What motor?!?
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

mad scientist
    Charles' car is great. I got behind the wheel last week. Light and Fast!

basic specs.
    67 911.
    Former track rat
    fiberglass 911R fenders
    fiberglass hood
    center fill
    fiberglass bumpers front and rear
    stock LWB flares in rear to match front
    new Black Paint
    red seats
    lightweight interior
    custom 10K early green tack
    15x7 on each corner.

What more could you ask for?

The car has an unknown motor. aluminum case. I think its a 2.7RS spec based on response. I have not been under it to ID cylinders or such.

The 911R windows are designed with a inward turning flange that allows the windows to be flush when mounted outside the frame. The problem with the windows is that there is not an outward turning flange that would mate with the pinch weld seam for a glue-in application. The only option would be to make a flange that bolts to the body and then turns out horizontal so that the window would mount. Not impossible. Not easy to make look good. I do have an idea and if we go forward I will post the solution.

I agree that the simplest method is to trim the single edge flange and mount in the existing frame. Charles has a pretty nice replica and I know he wants to continue with the details of a glue-in mount similar to the original.
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

mad scientist
    Thanks Raj,

I will check out the sealing cord links you referenced. We have some similar stuff in grey at work. Very Sticky!
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

Thank you for all of your suggestions...The car is still being sorted and is a bit dusty, I would like to glue the windows in...we found a pin leak(very minor..pin drop) with the master cylinder so we changed it from the 17mm to the larger 19mm(better breaking). The clutch was adjusted and the suspension was corner balance and tuned....the car has (matching #s engine and trans) 190hp and is very spirited as was the 911R. The standard front oil cooler works very well and has hoses that are stainless steel braided....the rims have been changed to 4 deep sixs redone by Al Reed with new tires(3200.)...The gauges where customized by North Hollywood Speedo(1100.), the interior and external Parts (10,000.) purchased from TRE...72 tank alone was (800.) NOS from S with consule...Plastic injected molded rear quarters TRE(400.) Seats GTS Classic the ST version leather and red hounds(3000.)The Doors are matching #s(I didnt know they had matching #s Doors) to the car and will be finished with matching leather and hounds tooth RS door panels from extra material from the seats...The car weighed in with full tank 2054 lbs....The car was built by an old german named Michael who was once a master coach builder restoring 300SL's (lead work), Adolf Vesiel a former Mercedes Engineer(mechanicals), artistic detail Q's by Stefan of GTS and Dave of TRE which totally came through for me on the numerous parts and expert advise(I really could not have done it correctly with out Dave advise)...
    1967 911
    Vin#307124
    Deliverd as: Black Exterior/Red Interior
    What made the build difficult was that the spec car was basically rust free and sound 911...My german friends whom are wonderful people did not want to alter the state of a perfectly normal car and create in their words an abomination..."why build it if it is not real" we discussed passionate ideology for a month to get them to work on the car...It wasn't about money but was is right or wrong to build this type of car vs restoring the original...finally after a month of the car sitting in his shop they agreed "OK let the kid have his toy"...I had a strict budget that added up quickly and unexpected details but it was the time of my life....
    I will post lots of pics