Thread: Banging my head against the wall....wiring uggh!

Banging my head against the wall....wiring uggh!

SWB wiring issues. I had wiring gremlins, so the suggestion was made to replace my flasher relay with a modern version...Wolfsburg West flasher 211953227BWW. So now my left side turn signals blink just fine...and the relay up next to the fuse panel in the trunk clicks like it should. Right side turn signals glow...no blinking and the relay doesn't click. Furthermore, when the turn signal switch on the column is moved up (right) the headlamp relay clicks. I completely removed the new Wolfsburg relay and the car never noticed...left side turn signals blink and right side glow. I have gone back and forth over the diagrams to try to find a short somewhere, but no luck. I could sure use some wisdom here. Anybody have similar symptoms with their car that can fill me in on the fix? I know the early cars had some redundant relays and switches...but I thought the hazard relay was a necessary component of the turn signal system?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

That is the hazard flasher relay. There is a thread about that part here on 912 board.

http://www.912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&t=35863

You probably need to replace the turn signal relay. The Tridon EL-13 seems to work well.

More:

http://www.912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&t=35242

For the system to work properly, all the connections and grounds at the light housings have to be working properly. That means the ground wire to the housing, the connectors to the bulb holders, the connections within the bulb holders and the spring clip connection between the bulb holder and the housing.

SV

Lars, I reverse-engineered a solution years ago. . try this.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rly-901-a.html
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

John,
    Some success. I when around to all forur corners of the car and disconnected everything. I then disconnected the relays for the H1s I had jumpered into the wiring system up by the fuse panel (next project to get working). I tested brakes,parking,reverse and turns. I made sure that correct wires went to correct blades. I got all four corners to work...and blink. Now my problem is that when I turn on the turn signals, the associated running light comes on. It doesn't blink...just illuminates. When I turn the turn signal off, the running light turns off too. This is for all four coners now. I am thinking that somehow (up front)I have tied in the running lights to my turn signals...probably at the headlight buckets. I need to disconnect and isolate the wiring for the running and turns signals and test each seperately. Incidently, the lights for the turns and running are not dual filament bulbs...but individual lights, so it is not a case of power leaching over to the nearby bulb. At least I now have turns at all four corners...and it appears that all my relays are operating correctly.

Lars
    registry# 1283

Lars, chasing this stuff can be a bear and even harder not in person. The signal and warning relay circuits are inter-related, and made worse in the SWB cars by the fact that the warning circuit was added after the fact-- some Italian-delivered cars don't have it at all! In 1969 the two systems were integrated in the harness and from a physics standpoint.

I posted the relay circuit diagram in this thread: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...elays+analyzed

What will really bake your noodle is when power is present on both sides of the warning lamp bulbs, causing them to NOT illuminate even though current is flowing. Trace the diagram out and you'll see what I mean.

Let me know if you need more help.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

it's always a grounding problem. well, 99.6% of the time anyway.