Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Spark Plug Socket

Early Spark Plug Socket

Hopefully not a completely stupid question, but the rubber washer that retains the spark plug is missing from my socket.

Any clues as to the washer dimensions or a part number or where I can source a replacement?

Thx

Martin

Buy a low buck spark plug socket that's the same diameter as yours and use it's foam rubber insert.

If it holds the plug too snug cut "V" flutes in its sides for less grip.

Post a photo of which spark plug socket you have and it's inner dimension, I possibly have an insert in the tool box which I can send you. I went to the magnetic socket for the Porsche years ago (and highly recommend you do to). I don't use the other kind anymore.

Hope this helps.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Thanks for the good advice Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    Buy a low buck spark plug socket that's the same diameter as yours and use it's foam rubber insert.

If it holds the plug too snug cut "V" flutes in its sides for less grip.

Post a photo of which spark plug socket you have and it's inner dimension, I possibly have an insert in the tool box which I can send you. I went to the magnetic socket for the Porsche years ago (and highly recommend you do to). I don't use the other kind anymore.

Hope this helps.
    Instead of relying on a donation from the generous Bobs of the world (Bob, you got another?), is there an official source for this sleeve or equivalent?

thanks,
    Sherwood

Yo! Village blacksmith here. I use a piece of electrical tape running down one side of the inside and wrapped around the opening and up the outside. This is also my guide for "indexing" the plug gaps.

johnt

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Yo! Village blacksmith here. I use a piece of electrical tape running down one side of the inside and wrapped around the opening and up the outside. This is also my guide for "indexing" the plug gaps.

johnt
    Trying to picture this solution to holding the spark plug w/o the rubber sleeve. BTW, do you have one (a photo) you could post?

How many yards of electrical tape is involved here?

Sherwood

As requested.

johnt
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thanks for the tip.

Sherwood

Mine has a magnetic insert.
    Indiana,
    1965 911: 300594, 300839
    1965 912: 350407,
    1968 911L SWT Sportomatic,
    1970 911T Irish Green, Restored,
    1974 911 Carrera, 1975 911 Carrera,
    1970 914 1.7 Signal Orange, 1973 914 2.0 Zambezi Green, 1974 914 2.0 Ravena Green--this one is for sale
    Used to haul the kids to the pool in 356/1500RS Carrera Speedster 80820. Wife would leave it in the shopping center parking lot -- now in the Porsche Factory Museum.