Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Early 911S Online VIN Info Reference Thread

I copied that from my excel. Sorry if it's sloppy. I've been researching for my 70S. Hope it's helpful. Happy New Year.

I am trying to figure out exactly what model I 911 I have. I have found my VIN shows a Base model, but then I found it to be a S. It has the larger brakes and and would lean towards the L. Now I'm really not sure.

I tried to locate the engine number. I could not find one where I though it should be. Dang!

I do have a Kardex. I believe the engine to be original. Thanks for the help deciphering.Name:  11835269 Kardex.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3280[2].jpg
Views: 638
Size:  121.8 KB

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...llen+henderson

You have a 911 normal for the US. They have serial numbers starting with 11835xxx. See the link above for more info.

Hi You have a Karmann built USA 1968 911

The rest seems a bit strange to me although possibly I dont know enough about 68 USA variants

According to the Spec book the engine number on the kardex is for a 901/14 engine which is the standard 130hp USA engine from 1968 with emission control BUT not for a sporto
    The Sporto engine for those cars, I thought, should be a type 901/17 with a 338xxxx number

The gearbox number 318xxxx is for a sporto as is the type number 905/00

When looking at the list of vins I have for similar cars to yours I have a kardex for 3 other USA karmann sportos (all close to yours in vin number, gearbox number etc) and all have 338xxxx rather than 328xxxx numbers for the engine

i suspect yours is a typo on the kardex and the engine number should be 3380260. That would fit well in with the range of the other three cars I have kardexes for
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks for the info. However, my engine case does not have a stamped number that I could find. Could the number be somewhere else?
    I doubt the engine was replaced.

Yes, it is a Karmann body car.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl S. View Post
    Thanks for the info. However, my engine case does not have a stamped number that I could find. Could the number be somewhere else?
    I doubt the engine was replaced.

Yes, it is a Karmann body car.
    The number should be where the number always is. Why do you doubt it's a replacement? Certainly sounds like it is.

I guess because it only has 51K on the OD. Any ideas why it would be a replacement. You are correct, it is looking that way.

Perhaps I'm in denial. I was hoping my $1K car was numbers matching.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl S. View Post
    I guess because it only has 51K on the OD. Any ideas why it would be a replacement. You are correct, it is looking that way.

Perhaps I'm in denial. I was hoping my $1K car was numbers matching.
    Don't feel bad. You're not the first. And at $1k, you're still way ahead of the game.

Thanks, I am grateful no matter what. I have a vintage 911. So Awesome!!!
    I was not concerned about it when we purchased it. Actually, my Wife bought it sight unseen. She rocks.

Just never crossed my mine that it was not orig. Everything else is - (not the wheels) Denial!!! Nooooooooo.

I'm the $1K 68 Sprotomatic. I am grateful none the less. It is an awesome project for a newbe.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    The number should be where the number always is.
    Unless it is a 914/6 motor with the numbers at the other end of the engine.
    But we need to identify the case by the casting part #'s to see if we can identify the period of manufacture. Need to check both case halves, and get the last three characters from each.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers