Thread: 2002 996 4s $32,000

2002 996 4s $32,000

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...arrera-4s.html

When do 996s become the next 964?
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

996 Values

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    . . . When do 996s become the next 964? . . .
    Probably when all the noises/leaks/failures associated with the intermediate shafts (and their bearings) get fixed . . . . or the affected engines have failed out.

Or when people forget . . .

http://www.total911.com/news/996-eng...ou-be-worried/

Then there's the cracked heads/cylinders/blocks, bearing failures, cooling/corrosion issues, failing Variocam . . . not to mention that fried-egg-headlight face . . . .

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    The 996 has so many black eyes it's not worth considering without some sort of long term warranty.

The local independent has made a pretty good living replacing engines for the past few years. You don't rebuild them. You get a new one.
    When he PPI's a 996 he will tell prospective owners the pitfalls of buying one including setting aside money for an engine.

About 6 weeks ago he replaced the engine in a nearly perfect 2001 Cabriolet (roughly 90K car new) that had 30,000 on the clock. Out of warranty. So sorry, Charlie.

I've done the Black Book homework on these vs. a 964 and 993. Those did normal depreciation and then climbed or leveled off. The 996 goes straight into the tank.
    They are the most bland Porsche that Porsche ever built. The last one I drove reminded me of a luxury Japanese car. No soul whatsoever.

When you can afford to drop the money at a dealership for them to perform "shotgun" repairs this is your car as it is any of the new ones. "Shotgun" refers to the methodology of replacing anything and everything that might be causing a problem because you don't know WTH is wrong. It's quite common but the term is little known outside dealer/mechanics circles.

If one is on a lot try to finagle a long term warranty on it (if you can afford it).

Tom
    ...blah, blah , blah...yea and when we were kids we had to have our tonsils out and then we needed a appendectomy. I have a 1999 C-4 and have had none of those symptoms. Great car and much better than the 964 I owned previously
    Last edited by curtisaa; 06-18-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: sp
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

A quote from the Total 911 article linked above:

"First, it’s important to point out that it is the early 3.4-litre engines, made from 1998 to 2000, that are most susceptible to major failure. The later 3.6-litre engine is pretty much-problem free. Also, Porsche made many changes to the 3.4-litre unit over its production life, so the last of the last of these smaller-capacity engines – made in 2001 – tend to be more reliable."

But please - keep trashing the 996! I'm looking forward to when I can buy a well-kept 2002+ (with 3.6 motor and many other improvements) for $20K and use it as my beater! Should be just another couple of years...

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post

BTW; I'd have a 964 or Carrera or SC before I bought a liquid cooled P car. There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

Tom
    I couldn't agree more, but here in the city of Chicago, I wouldn't drive my air-cooled 911's to the grocery store, park them on the street overnight, drive them on insufferably hot and humid summer days, or use them on our heavily-salted winter roads. I would do all of these things in my (hypothetical for now) 'beater' 996.