Thread: Early 911 newbie looking for guidance - help me choose!

Early 911 newbie looking for guidance - help me choose!

Hi everyone,

I’m a new member here looking for some advice. I’m in my mid twenties and now finally in the market for an early 911. The elfer is the perfect combination of performance, style, value and reliability in my eyes.
    I’d like the car to be a solid driver first and foremost - reliable, nimble and fun to drive, even in every-day situations.

I have a fixed budget of 40000€, which does leave me with some options. Right now I have two specific cars in mind and would love to hear your opinions before I go check out both of them:

http://peterf.imgur.com/911 for pictures (red is the S, silver the E)

1967 2.0S SWB: german car, non-matching numbers but close (current engine is within 200# of range of the original), green dials, engine was recently completely overhauled. Seller claims the mechanics of the car were restored to a 1 to 2+ (out of 5, 5 being the worst), so very good shape. Body isn’t so great… it was resprayed with a wrong color even though there were known rust issues, mainly around the floor pans. Body is a -3 to 4. Will obviously need bodywork down the line, but the car is perfectly drivable until then.

1969 2.2 E: italian car, matching numbers, 4 year old complete restoration with extensive bodywork repairs, engine and MFI overhauled. Car has a S-spoiler and looks absolutely gorgeous in my opinion. The fact that it’s a MY 70 car with a 1969 manufacturing date makes it interesting to me (we have some classic rallies here that have 1969 as the cutoff date for entry, although I’m not sure if I would participate with this car… you never know what the future brings). Listed price of 40k€ seems very high for an E?

Since I’m looking for a reliable, fun driver I’m definitely leaning towards the 2.2 E.
    From what I’ve read the engine is noticeably torquier and more drivable in everyday traffic.
    Of course it doesn’t have the prestige and collectors/resale value of the early S, but a all-around solid 911S is out of my reach with this budget.

Almost everyone in the classic car scene tells me its preferable to buy a straight and "near perfect" smaller car ("E" in this case) over a questionable bigger car ("S" here) unless one is big into DIY-restoration, which I’m clearly not (yet).

I’d love to hear some input from you. Maybe the S isn’t as bad of an idea as I think it is?
    Thanks and best wishes from Austria.

Peter,

Of the two presented I would recommend the E because rust is is insidious and the cost is immense to repair. However, I would agree that the price on the E is aggressive. My recommendation is to be patient. As an example here is a matching numbers S with a color change in Northern Italy in your price range. The car requires some attention but you can continue to enjoy it while you do the work. Look for post #7.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=andrea

Good Luck.

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Hi Peter - I'm guessing that you're in Europe ?

It's worth checking out DDK as there are often cars advertised in the UK & links to cars for sale in other parts of Europe:

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/index.php
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    Peter,

Of the two presented I would recommend the E because rust is is insidious and the cost is immense to repair. However, I would agree that the price on the E is aggressive. My recommendation is to be patient. As an example here is a matching numbers S with a color change in Northern Italy in your price range. The car requires some attention but you can continue to enjoy it while you do the work. Look for post #7.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=andrea

Good Luck.

Dave
    Hi Dave, thanks for the recommendation. My brother already pointed this car out to me, he led me to this forum and is helping me with the search for the "right one". Neither of us is experienced with restorations and I'm worried that a project such as the one you linked would end up as a "neverending story". That’s why I was ready to settle with an E instead of the S, but that particular car seems overpriced to me too.
    It's also still hard for me to judge rust and engine condition, despite all the literature I've bought so far.

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    Hi Peter - I'm guessing that you're in Europe ?

It's worth checking out DDK as there are often cars advertised in the UK & links to cars for sale in other parts of Europe:

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/index.php
    Thanks, I've added this to my bookmark list!

Peter

Peter,

Two pieces of advice. One, pay for a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI) from a reputable and independent shop. The PPI will evaluate the structural integrity of the car as well as the mechanicals. Comprehensive PPIs may be expensive but may also help you to avoid a bad situation. Two, definitely lay hands on the car yourself. Travel to wherever the car is and crawl through it and test drive it. Don't let your inexperience dissuade you from doing so. The early cars have personalities and experiencing them first hand is critical.

Best,

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)