Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Climb to the Clouds 2011

Climb to the Clouds 2011

This hillclimb was first run in 1904, making it one of America's oldest motorsport events. The Mt. Washington Auto Road is the most extreme road I've ever been on, including those in the Rockies and California. How one can race on it, is beyond me. I was out there with some quattro people and displaying my rally car. Some of the RED Rally guys showed up including Gytis, Jim G and his son Mason, Dana, Jens, and Heidi (they were all in a strange foreign land filled with Audi quattros! ). A few pics from my buddy Tim .... there's a reason they call it Climb to the Clouds.

Porsche content! The 1961 record holder. A tube-frame Beetle with a 4-cam Carrera motor:

More Porsche content: a matte-black 928

One of the wildest entries was the 1900HP Freightliner complete with Gulf livery. I don't know how he made some of the switchback turns but he was setting incredible mid-field times.

Holding up the Audi flag was not Frank Sprongl and his Group B quattro A2 (more on that later), but the 'Audi Super Chicken'. Built by one of Buffum's mechanics it was essentially a 5-cylinder turbo quattro drivetrain and suspension tied into a frame. At first, it drew laughs. Then they saw it launch off the line and changed their opinions. On raceday, he cooked the clutch on the first run. I offered the clutch out of my rally car, but there wasn't time to do the swap. The solution? Pour a bottle of CocaCola on the clutch. The result? A perfectly operating clutch and 3rd place in Open Class!

Here's Buffum (in the white pants) laughing his ass off as the Super Chicken takes its first practice run:

And the full in-car:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V3IjjPjPsUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 06-28-2011 at 04:16 PM.

It's like a bass-ackwards 911 with that engine hanging way out in front of the front wheels. Must make for understeer on tarmac.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

There was an amazing and eclectic paddock of cars at this event. From the blindingly fast Super Chicken ( I'm still grinning that he got third) to a 1933 Alfa 8C Zagato built for Nuvolari, and winner at the 24 hours of LeMans, Spa, the Vanderbilt Cup, and the 1937 Mt. Washington Hillclimb. Whew.

Mason had a ball going up the mountain in Tim's rally car, now he wants to drive out to Michigan for the LSPR and Sno Drift Rallies. I feel him drifting (bad pun intended ) over to the dark side - and I blame you Curt.

Great to see everyone, and any weekend that includes Bear Notch and Hurricane Mountain with no traffic is a good weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Garfield; 06-28-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

That was some launch, though. And I wish the camera angle extended a little further down so I could see more of that suspension working.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

This may have been the first time that a turbo Quattro driver (in the Super Chicken) didn't have to worry about overheating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Garfield; 06-28-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    that super chicken run freaked me out the higher he got.. get got past tarmac which was awesome, then it was gravel/dirt (how the heck is he getting grip!) then cliffs off the side of the road.. then steeper cliffs.. then you couldnt see in front of you let alone what was over the side! man has huge stones (then again i am deathly afraid of heights) all in all though, that was fantastic. what a drive!
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Jim/ Curt,
    Makes me wish I drove a little farther North on Saturday! Which road is that? Did we drive it on the rally?
    Luke
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    It's like a bass-ackwards 911 with that engine hanging way out in front of the front wheels. Must make for understeer on tarmac.
    It's a ridiculous design, much like the 911. It shouldn't work. But it does. Understeer is an understatement.

Here's some video I took of the Freightliner. Launches like a turbine car, but gets up to speed quickly.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/25745309?byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;color=ff9933" width="650" height="488" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Jim posted a couple pics of Michele Mouton's 1982 Audi. She won in Portugal with this car. Then it was brought back to Audi Sport and rebuilt for Jo Hoppen at Audi North America. It was shipped here a couple of weeks later and John Buffum drove the car here in 82 and 83, including the RAC and Pikes Peak. I watched the car rally in 1982 and it was awesome to see the car again, 30 years later.

82 por buffum 007.jpg

poraudi01.jpg

cttc 002.jpg