Thread: Early SWB Front strut ID please.

Early SWB Front strut ID please.

I am restoring a LHD SWB 66 911, and have dismantled the front suspension. The existing struts are painted black, and have no change in dia so I am surmising they are Boge (which would have been standard fit for that year I believe. See photo for small indeterminate logo/badge on the strut. It is a poor photo, but it is no easier to read in reality either! They are the correct early, 'ball joint bolted to the bottom' type as you can see in the photo

On dismantling it looks like inserts have been fitted - there are wrench marks on the top of the strut and the top of the 'insert' is red (Koni?). My manual seems to suggest Koni inserts have two holes in the top ring and Boge 4 so that would also suggest these are Koni. Any other way to find out?

Can anyone help with the ID please, and more importantly offer any advice on refurbishment? They appear to function well, but given the car has been laid up since 1977 it seems prudent to at least check them out more fully, or replace the inserts, on such a critical item. I have searched this forum and DDK and have found lots of threads but none 'hit the spot', so to speak
    Last edited by MTemp; 07-05-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Well, take the nut off and look. You will need a pin spanner wrench. Do not use a pipe wrench. Here is a thread on this BBS that shows you what you need.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=gland

Inside you will find one of two things, either the original piston rod and seals, indicating an original strut, or a strut cartridge, like a Bilstein or Koni (or some other cheapo insert).

In any event, if they haven't been used since 1977, new inserts are in order and can be had for about $125 from the usual sources. These include a new gland nut.

You need to blast all the rust off that housing and evaluate. Also your dust covers should have a part number on them, 901 for 911, 902 for 912. I don't think there is any difference between them, however.

There is a factory tool that is used to determine whether the struts are bent, ask around if anyone in your area has one.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=strut

I replaced the ball joints on '065, they are about $190 per side, but I figure one set every 40 years is a reasonable expenditure.

Good luck and see my other threads on this BBS for more SWB suspension details.

1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen