Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '75-'77 TURBO TRAILINGARMS fits 930 CALIPERS?

'75-'77 TURBO TRAILINGARMS fits 930 CALIPERS?

As i have no '75-'77 turbo trailingarms(or pics),i don't know if this is possible.The '78-'89 turbo trailingarms i have now,are to wide to fit my RS flared '73 car.Ofcourse i can use the alu. sc trailingarms,but i want the turbo arms if it's poissible,and i don't like machining my turbo calipers to fit the sc arms.Is it possible to drill holes in the turbo arms to bold on the 930 calipers?Does this need any other adaptation or machining the calipers?Any info or pics. welcome.
    Marcus.

amsterdamned,

1975-77 Turbo trailing arms should be able to accept the later 3.3 turbo calipers. The set I had (1976 930 trailing arms) had provisions cast in to accept both the standard 75-77 AND the later 930 calipers. The late calipers mount in a differant position. And the tabs for them are cast in (at least they were on the 76 MY pair) . You need to drill and tap.

if that's the case,i have to find a pair of those trailing arms...
    Any pictures of a '75-'77 turbo trailing arm,with or without any caliper, is welcome.
    Do you have any pics of your trailing arm/calipers,Peekaboo?
    Thanks anyway,Marcus.

No , the key word on my pair was 'had' . Unfortunately I traded them off 10 or so years ago for too little value.

But I remember one type of caliper mounts to the rear of disc. The other type mounts forward.

Hi,you can weld brackets to sc arms,to have calipers at the rear of disc,same as rsr.

Regards,
    Dougie.
    Last edited by brembo; 07-06-2011 at 02:43 PM.

You have to machine flats on the early 930 trailing arms to use the later 930 brakes, too. Machining the flats is, I am told, not easy. But, I've never tried, only stared at the puny rear caliipers on my 77, and dreamed.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Have you modified the torsion tube area for the Turbo trailing arms? They were designed for the pickups to be more rearward, outward, and upwards from the normal '73 location.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Early 930 trailing arms, '75-'77, are just as wide as the later ones are so if those won't fit, early ones will not either.

One option, although expensive, would be to install RSR steel arms as they are narrower. You will need to mount them on the torsion bar tube in the same fashion as 930 ones as these are also meant to be positioned rearward, compared to the stock 911 ones. There are people making nice reproductions in Europe.

Hope this helps,
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

The torsiontube is modified for the turbo arms,and for the G50/31.For what i have heard is that the first model turbo arms are each about 30mm smaller,but i don't have any to verify.the car is not yet ready for it's bodywork and new panels,so the one's i got now i can't see if they can hold the 9j wheels.My suspension package is complete,so the RSR arms are no option(for now).
    Anybody with some pictures of both models which shows the difference???

You can modify the 76-77 turbo arms to accept the 3.3 turbo calipers, but you will lose the emergency brake in the process. The castings of the arms differ 1976/77 vs 78-89. Been there, tried it. You can have a stationary brake ala rsr , if you source those pieces, but to install stock emergency brake ? no can do
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR