Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, I'm almost there... LWB fog light horn grills.

Well, I'm almost there... LWB fog light horn grills.

11 months and counting.... Can't believe it's taken this long. I've been reticent to post pics of the progress, but I feel finally comfortable with where we are. Here's a picture of the raw prototypes I pickup up last week. I had a meeting with my mold makers this morning and we reviewed the fit details that need to be made, and some changes on one slat on each side. It's great working with these old school tool and die guys and surrounded by the old machinery. It's an immense amount of work to do mold correction, fortunately there's not much that is needed. This is a pair that's not had the flashing removed, but as you can see we are very close.

I've done test fitting on a number of cars, and that's the part that's causing the headache's with the SWB version. These LWB fit great... thank goodness, I don't think I could go another round of making another mold.

These will be about a month at this point. I'm going out of the country for about 2 weeks, and then I need to get them finished pieces to the plater... maybe 5 weeks.

Thanks for the patience! SWB should follow about 8 weeks from now, as they are little further behind in the process.

SWB bumper end caps on their way to me as we speak.

cheers,
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Let me be the first to say: Ooooooooohhh!
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Erik,

The highest compliment I can pay another Porsche enthusiast is that they do it RIGHT, the way the Factory would (or the way we hope they would). Erik, you do it RIGHT.

John
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    whats the material? metal? price points?
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Eric, it's my honor & great pleasure to be the first buyer of a pair of the LWB grills.

Thank you so much for looking after us with quality goods.

Best,

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Nice progress Eric. I can't wait to get my hands on a few piars.

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Count me in for a pair

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman912 View Post
    whats the material? metal? price points?
    Zinc die cast, just like original. Weight within grams of original, left side is different weight from right... just like OE.

Chrome will be by the same shop that's doing my muffler tips. I guess they call it quad chroming, 1 layer copper, 2 layers nickel and then chrome on top. The chromer has been great, their buffing guys are the best. I've run some SWB proto's previously with them and they've been stunning.

Price "currently" estimated at $275 a pair, but that's the highest it will be. I have to get my buffing time estimated from the chromer with these pieces.

The picture attached is a SWB pre-production version that's been chromed....just want you to get an idea of how the chroming does come out from this particular shop.

thanks!
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Soterik; 07-06-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Eric,
    Man..I could have used a pair of those for my 71E............. $275 is a great price. I burned through many times that ....just in time spent buying pairs (3-4) until I received some acceptable parts.

Regards,
    Al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Be sure to leave some flash on those babies to keep the factory look! Super product E.

I also dig the logo resurrection. Nice testament.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586