Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't know if anything is selling...

I don't know if anything is selling...

...but prices sure appear to be going up

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=797438
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

That car was on Samba for $69000 for weeks and didn't sell earlier this year. What's the thinking in slapping another 20k on it I wonder?

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

The original paint thing is way over valued in my opinion. Half the cars I have seen advertized with original paint either need paint badly or have had major panels painted and blended with the original paint.

Original paint usually can be likened to an older woman with original skin, yes she may have been a supermodel at one point but I would much rather have the younger woman with newer skin.

Not sure about that. It depends how old you are. I think Sophia Loren has a lovely patina but then she may have had some panels blended in as well.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

I know of an Aubergine T like that with (80%) original paint that could be had in the low $40s... trouble is, what can you do with that type of car? Shows, fair weather driving, display... Hard to relax around something with value related to that "only original once" thing.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    That car was on Samba for $69000 for weeks and didn't sell earlier this year. What's the thinking in slapping another 20k on it I wonder?

Regards
    Mike
    Finding a sucker who thinks he makes a low-ball offer at 60k and gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that life is too short to worry about this stuff. As a friend told me when I objected to driving a car he left with me: "It's a car, I didn't leave you one of my kids".

We're doing a 356SC GT project. The fellow handling the mechanicals asked me during a discussion regarding the engine modifications if I was doing it for the next guy or myself? I said "to hell with the next guy, it's my car". He said "Exactly".

Then the bill went up.

Tom

Can't wait to see it...;-)
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    I know of an Aubergine T like that with (80%) original paint that could be had in the low $40s... trouble is, what can you do with that type of car? Shows, fair weather driving, display... Hard to relax around something with value related to that "only original once" thing.
    Is this the one?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3010539.htm

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Veeery interesting. Car is physically here in So Cal at TRE. Same VIN, but miles are 65K. Several other things in the listing are wrong. Car was delivered in, and spent its life in the East Bay Area of Northern California. TRE has restored the front door pockets and I think that, plus a door switch rubber nipple was all the car needed. I have no idea who this other reseller is, but if you're interested, just PM me.
    Last edited by Eminence Gris; 07-10-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

I saw the car a week ago at TRE, and it is striking, a true time warp car....I consider it a bargain at $44k.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622