Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Early Porscheair AC setup

WTB: Early Porscheair AC setup

Looking for either major parts or complete early Porscheair AC setup. Let me know what you have.

Mike I have a PorscheAir system in a 67, you have a PM on pelican with an email address for pics.

Regards

Mike, I have some odds and ends if you can't get it all from Jerry. It is also from a 67, but may be a Koolaire. Evap sits above the smugglers box.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

FYI the Porsche approved A/C system for short wheel base cars was DelanAir. a USA based company. Designed and made in the USA and officially approved by Porsche, even has a factory brochure explaining the system.

Behr replaced it in the Long Wheel Base 911.

Wasn't Porscheair aftermarket?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark, Porscheair IS Delanair. Thanks for those pics.

A little detail: I am just parts gathering now, and not entirely sure how this will come together regarding a combo of original and aftermarket parts, but I'd like to have AC in my 911 in the near future so I will drive it more in the summer, to work, etc. I don't want an aftermarket system, I want it to look "original", using the original vent assembly under the dash. If I have to upgrade the compressor, condensers, etc, no biggie.....

Did the Delanair/Porscheair unit with the two condensers work OK in the old days, seems like it might have worked OK? On the other hand, there are no fans on the condensers, so it might not have worked very well.

Seems like installing this unit requires less hacking than the later Behr systems?

BTW, Mark, the round grate part of the housing makes sense, that is where air is sucked in from the cabin and then pushed over the evaporator and out the vents....but what is that duct taped, nasty looking appendage??

EDIT: I now see that is for the to and from refrigerant lines. Got any pics of the underhood bits?

Thanks.

V.E. What year is your car / car pictured?? at least 68, not sure of changes. Mine is in a early 67 912 SWT (sort of why AC?? because they could.) but several differences right off, the under dash unit is a bit deepeer also extends more to the pass side, the vents are round, the condensor is at least twice the size shown is made with nice arc to match the deck lid this may be why my system does not have the second condensor in the wheel well. Maybe that was a modification on cooling the freon again before entering the cabin?
    Who knows, will post some pictures over the weekend.
    Unit has PorscheAir tag made into the area where you control the temp and blower motor, never noticed anything under the unit but will look.

Regards
    Last edited by Jerry L; 07-08-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Jerry, your unit may be like the ones offered for 356's, with round vents. The "Porscheair" unit by Delanair is like Mark pictured. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

The A/C system pictures I posted above were from a concours 1968 912, never taken apart 50k mile car as seen here:

http://vintageexcellence.com/1968_Po...Coupe_Gold.php

Mike, what year is your car. I would think if you have a SWB then go Delinar and LWB should go Behr.

Either way you got the original compressor was a cast iron piston pump that was not efficient. One of the best bags for the buck in new parts these days is the new production rotary compressors for around $200 new outright. Condensers and evaporators can be improved on too, look up Grifiths in New Jersey. The Griffiths stuff is centered around 74-89 big bumper cars but will work with early cars. Not always period looking however.

Upgrades to A/C would include a high efficient Evaporator and multiple condensers with fans, higher power inside cabin blower motor, rotary compressor, a brain to figure out the science and fitment of it all.

From what I have heard from owners that bought a 912 new with A/C - yes the system worked but the car ran very hot while the system was on. I don't think the system lasted long as most stopped working in the first few years. 911 engines had more power to operate the system which helped, the crank in a 911 engine has a massive amount of bearing surface to run on vs the 912/356 which has such small bearings and a flat crank configuration that likes to pound itself apart. The front cover bearing in a 912 is very weak compared to a 911.

I am no A/C expert but I do have 2 LWB 911 cars that have factory A/C and I plan on getting them working with the full restorations. It is not an easy thing to add to a small classic car, especially if you want a period correct look.

Oh yes, I just went and looked at the dealer Porsche[I]air[I] brochue and remember the name Porscheair... there was a alternator stand made for 356 912 engine many years ago that said Porscheair on it and that where I though it was aftermarket.

Here is the original brochure with specs:

http://www.912registry.org/graphics/pdf/900air.pdf