Thread: New retractable versus fixed belts

New retractable versus fixed belts

I currently use fixed belts on my 356. A right PITA!!! gets caught on the seat mechanism etc.

I have almost finished my 68 901 which doesn't have provisions for the "D" buckle. Therefore i have no choice but to consider:
    • fixed three point
    • retractable with the real at the very rear which would mean I would need to turn around and reach back each time I need to use it...

I have posed the question to Jesse from peparts (excellent advice) and he has posed the following:
    " You mentioned that this is going to be a daily driver and a non-retracting belt might be a little easier to reach when you put it on, but, consider that you only put the belt on once when you get in to drive it. The rest of your driving time you have to live with the belt that is installed and non-retracting belts are really not that comfortable and are not as safe as retracting belts. For the belt to function properly it needs to be snugged down across your waist and shoulder with you sitting straight up, reaching to turn on the stereo or open the glove box or simply lean forward to adjust your seating position, requires that you slip the belt off your shoulder which causes a lapse in safety...The choice is yours, but, from my point of view, the 3-point retracting belt is the only option I would consider in my own vehicle

What does everyone think?

Cheers

Rolls

I bought a pair of retracting belts from PEP probably about 15 years ago for the back of my '73 911. I couldn't be happier - and to be quite honest, I'm not sure who I would trust for seatbelt advice other than PEP.

Thanks Jay. Will def use pepart

Just trying to establish if fixed or retractable is the way to go given I don't have provisions for the D buckle ( will be hard to reach)

Paid Member # 1991
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolls 912 View Post
    Thanks Jay. Will def use pepart

Just trying to establish if fixed or retractable is the way to go given I don't have provisions for the D buckle ( will be hard to reach)
    I recently struggled with this very same question when reinstalling original seats in my '71 E. Frankly, I never found the non-retracting (original equip) seatbelts inconvenient and always considered them "safer" in that there is no retractor mechanism to fail at an inopportune time. (How many racing harnesses do you see that are self-retracting )

Granted, my perspective on the old fixed belts is from 15 years ago, so perhaps I'd feel differently, today. In the end, I went with self-retracting belts after discussing with several folks for advice/opinion. They convinced me that the convenience outweighed any theoretical safety concerns. IMO - you need to ask yourself how important "originality" is, and make your decision based on that.

- MR
    Last edited by MountainRoads; 07-12-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: clarity