Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LWB Horn Grille Seal Details?

Eric, we are lucky to have you in our little corner of the car hobby. Unfortunately, the only seals I've run across have been even worse than the example above. I suspect ozone deterioration means So Cal is not going to be the place to find seals that have endured.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

It always surprises me to see an old thread of mine bumped, and to see how much I have learned since I posted it.

Eric, I'll watch this space (and autoforeignservices.com) for your progress on the LWB seals and place an order with you in the not-too-distant future. I'm going to be doing some fettling of bumpers and trim and it'll be an opportune time to refresh some seals and lenses.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

I stumbled upon this thread again...

I have just picked up some old stock aftermarket horn grill seals in grey, though I believe they are the SWB shape. From Michael's photos the shape of the LWB seal looks to be tear drop shaped, correct?

I also noticed another post on this topic from 2016, with additional pictures of the LWB seal.

If so, I may try and trim the seals I bought down a bit.

Thanks all,
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

The similar threads links helped me find my answer in Eric's thread on SWB horn grill seals (tulip shaped).

This made me even more curious as to what the correct profile is for the LWB chrome grills. I located my originals and carefully pealed off the petrified grey seals. At first glance, these are not the same as the SWB profile...then I started convincing myself they are the same. I suspect there is considerable breakdown of the portion of the seal which was exposed to the sun, the opposite edge looks to follow the SWB shape with some slight deformity due to heat cycles under compression. I will post a number of pictures and let you all decide for yourselves.

As far as the fit of the SWB seals to the LWB grills goes, if they are trimmed and glued per originals I see no reason why these would not work well on factory parts. Interestingly enough, I have a set of SMC plastic chromed grills that may go on my E, The SWB seal would need to be trimmed to fit these so they are not visible through the grill (the area where the seal goes is not the same shape/size).
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

Here is the SMC plastic grill with SWB seal peaking through the lower opening.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074