Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LWB Horn Grille Seal Details?

Question LWB Horn Grille Seal Details?

I'm about to get my horn grilles back from the rechromer and would like details as to how to correctly reattach them to the car. These are the standard, 2-screw LWB grilles, not TTG fog lamp grilles. Specifically, what are the correct mounting screws and clips, and how does the rubber seal attach to the back of each grille?

When I took the grilles off my car I noticed that the original rubber seal (sort of blue-gray) ran across the top edge of each grille but had been cut at a bevel at either end. The replacement seals from Stoddard (black) are not beveled.

Apologies up front for (1) not being able to find this in a search (2) not photographing the parts when I removed them from my car.

TIA
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

They are just glued to the grill with trim adhesive.

I'd just cut the small bevels on the seal after the glue has dried.

By the way, no difference in the seals between the full grill and the cut grills.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thanks for that.

Again in my haste I neglected to take a photo of the grilles when I removed them, so where exactly does the seal glue on: in the indentation above the uppermost grille bar on atop the grille itself? A photo would help.
    ESR #1474

Quote Originally Posted by teenchy View Post
    Thanks for that.

Again in my haste I neglected to take a photo of the grilles when I removed them, so where exactly does the seal glue on: in the indentation above the uppermost grille bar on atop the grille itself? A photo would help.
    I have some other pics to take tonight, so I will take pictures of a set of factory original grills I have that still have the seals in place.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    I have some other pics to take tonight, so I will take pictures of a set of factory original grills I have that still have the seals in place.
    Looking forward to the pics.
    ESR #1474

Quote Originally Posted by teenchy View Post
    Looking forward to the pics.
    We had a bit of an extended family emergency. Daughter's SO was hit by a truck that very eve while commuting home by bicycle. Just brought him home from the Trauma Center last night to recoup at our house. Been a rough week....Going to be a rough 3-6 months for him. One lucky young SOB though considering..

I'll see if I can't get to that this afternoon once I get home from work. I also promised a PP thread pics of my "City Light" H1s.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thanks. Sorry to hear of your emergency and sorry if I came across as impatient. Best wishes for the SO's recovery.
    ESR #1474

Sorry to hear about the accident too. I cycle a lot. But, much more mountain biking these days for fear of cars.

Meanwhile, I bought some new foam strips for my grilles. But, they are shorter than the grille's width itself. So, to add to this thread, where does it go? Centered, with equal gaps on both sides? Or should it go all the way across? I found my original rubber strips, and they are the same short width.

Thanks for the kind words guys. No head trauma luckily but, a severely fractured ankle and a couple of fractured discs in his back. He's going to bounce back (19yrs old) but, he just doesn't have the type of family support my wife and I have had. It's also a good tough lesson for my daughter to appreciate the good times in a relationship and that you sometimes have to accept the bad.

OK, End of my story...On to grill pics! As you can probably tell, both are factory grills with factory seals still on em. Looks to me like they are glued on and then trimmed afterward. Both of these are not entirely identical (notice the one untrimmed end). If I were doing this, I'd bevel them slightly.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Hmm. Those do not match the ones I bought or the ones that were on my '73, which I believe to be original (I got the car with 40k miles on it, in still basically new condition). Mine are just black square foam strips. But yours certainly match the turnsignal type of material, and sure look like a professional, i.e., factory type of attachment.

For what it is worth, I did notice at one point when I was getting replacement grilles, that on the factory grilles, the outside edges of the horizontal fins did not end with a clean, perpendicular cut, but they were lightly rounded and blended at the end. If that makes any sense.