View Poll Results: SWB owners: do your bumper fogs turn off when your high beams go on?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they turn off.

12 48.00%
  • No, they don't, they stay on.

5 20.00%
  • I don't have bumper fogs.

4 16.00%
  • I have a 912 but love the early car Gemütlichkeit here.

4 16.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWB owners: do your bumper fog lamps turn off when your high beams are on?

SWB owners: do your bumper fog lamps turn off when your high beams are on?

The original wiring diagram for SWB cars does not show a relay in the fog lamp circuit. And yet many cars have one, a yellow one mounted above the fuse box. Its function is to turn off the bumper fogs (Hella 128) when the high-beams are selected.

Link to my other work on the subject here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=relays

Bonus question: for those owners who have this feature, where does the yellow wire that runs to terminal 86 on the relay lead? I think it leads to the power side of the fuse box on fuse 11 or 12, but would love to know for sure (and a photo would be really excellent).

One of the prior caretakers of '065 used lamp cord to wire her fogs. . . sigh.

THANKS!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I will have to report back, I do have the realy you mention and can also trace the wiring, I will try the fogs with high beam and see if they stay on. 66 (nov 65 build) 912 with factory installed 128's per the ever questionable CofA

Regards

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Mine go out on high - I will check the wiring when I get home.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

This is the relay set up on my car John.
    I didn't do it and can't tell a yellow wire from a purple one as far as electrics go so you will have to tell me what I have here.

The yellow wire from that relay (is that #80 or #85 ? ) goes to the lights.
    Can't tell which wire corresponds to # 86 on that diagram on the relay.

On the fuse box end of things - I have only white wires leading to 11 and 12
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

John, that gives new meaning to the word "thumbnail sketch!" That clearly is a later relay.

To clarify, an original SWB will have either simple wires from the 5 and 6 position of the power side of the fusebox over to the switch and back, or a harness encased in plastic with a yellow Wehrle relay above the fuse box. Or there may be evidence of either e.g. screw holes where the relay sat, a wire harness but no relay, etc.

Here's a photo of an original 67S which clearly had this feature (thanks Damon!) What I'm trying to determine is whether this came on ALL the cars from the beginning, or whether the factory added it along the way. The 911 Normal and 911S wiring diagrams don't show a relay in either case. If the factory didn't go to the trouble to update their wiring diagram when the S was introduced in late 1966, perhaps they didn't update the diagram for the earlier cars either. They would have designed the electrical system way back in the early 1960s when they were working on the chassis and not given a thought to having it match what was actually produced. (Except in the case of the 912, which got its own diagram).

My reason for asking the poll this way is it's a lot easier for someone to respond by walking in their garage, turning on ignition, pulling on the light switch, pulling on the fog switch and then flicking the turn signal lever forward and looking to see if the fogs are still operating. But an alternate method would be, "does your car have this yellow relay?"

The original option fog lamps on my '68 912 turn off when high beams are selected. Attached photo shows the yellow relay. The 2nd yellow relay to left of fuse panel is probably for the TTG Hella 118 driving lights, and the black relay for the Fiamm air horns. The latter two options installed a week or so after I picked up the the car, by Porsche in Vienna Austria. The wiring has never been monkeyed with since. -Richard
    1968 912 Sunroof, Irish Green (original owner)
    1985 911, Prussian Blue (sold)
    2010 Carrera 4S, Porsche Racing Green

Here is mine. From 304088, same build month as 304065.

Last edited by oscillon; 07-17-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Richard, wow! "Wiring that has never been monkeyed with" a rare thing indeed. Thank you for that photo, it's a big help. Many here have TTG lights as well and a keen interest in seeing how it was done "back in the day." We can even clearly see the date codes on your Wehrle relays, 02.68 on the bumper relay and 07.67 on the TTG relay.

What I notice in particular is how your wiring connections differ from the other examples. Depending on how one interprets what is connected to what, your setup looks like it enables the bumper fogs when the low beams are on, and disables them when the switch for the TTG is pulled.

I knew mine wasn't the original set up - just putting it out there.

Does anyone still sell those yellow relays ? or is it a WTB thing ?

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Gemütlichkeit indeed. Yes, I had to look it up:
    Gemütlichkeit (German pronunciation:*[ɡəˈmyːtlɪçkaɪt]*( listen)) is a German abstract noun that has been adopted into English.[1] Its closest equivalent is the word "coziness"; however, rather than merely describing a place that is compact, well-heated and nicely furnished (a cozy room, a cozy flat), Gemütlichkeit connotes the notion of belonging, social acceptance, cheerfulness, the absence of anything hectic and the opportunity to spend quality time.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry