Thread: Long Overdue Introduction

Long Overdue Introduction

Hello-
    Sorry if you saw this post on the Pelican board but a number of people there asked me to post it here as well.

This is a 1973.5 911T with the "S" trim and suspension package. It was purchased from the original owner about 7 years ago. It had 15K original miles on it when purchased and it is up to 28k miles right now. The original owner drove it for 15 years and then it sat in his garage for another 15 before his wife told him he had to sell it. They had a one car garage with a one car wide driveway. When we asked him what he had done to the car he didn't understand the question. All he had done, and really all he had to do, for 15 years was change the oil. It had the original spark plugs, brake pads, and tires. The cookie cutter wheels in the picture are original and they are tubed. The only cosmetic change we have done to the car is the addition of the Fuchs wheels and modern tires. I have the originals bagged in my basement, and throw them on sometimes for car shows. You feel every bump with those tires. We brought it home and changed the rotors, pads, spark plugs, points, and we were finished. It sure is a lot simpler when you buy a car with zero rust.

I have only changed what has broken on this car. The paint and interior is original. The first week we had it, we added the pop-off valve to the box. The engine had to come out in 2006 because the oil leaks were becoming too numerous to ignore. All the seals were replaced and the carrera valve covers were added. Two years ago the main fuel line from the tank to the distributor was leaking and had to be replaced. This year the rear passenger side started to sag bad so I replaced the rear shocks. It has left me stranded twice. I thought I was doing good by replacing the original coil with the infamous silver one. It lasted two years and stopped working mid intersection. It has been running with the original ever since with a spare in my tool bag. The other time was the fuel pump giving out. I know there are lots of small fixes, but that is the major stuff. I just drive it until something breaks then fix it. Which is about every other year. I am still waiting for the cd box or fuel distributor to go. Those will sting.

That's my abbreviated green T story. I hope you enjoyed it. I can't believe how much these T's are going for lately. I think I need to get it reappraised. It's probably insured for half of what it's worth. If anyone can give some insight for a value for this car I am all ears.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Welcome, great looking car!

2 owners.....30K miles......great colors......and all original!!!......worth at least $50K in my opinion.
    Last edited by FL-Frank; 07-15-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Great car. When you have some time, please post some more photos here...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ide.../page249
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Great Car!!! I saw your post over on PP and hoped you would put something up over here. Such a great find.
    Let's see some photos of the interior, engine compartment, trunk....
    +1 to Max's comments (on PP) about getting the ride height and getting an alignment + corner balance. She's sitting a little too tall.

With 30K miles it's just breaking-in!

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Wow, beautiful car. I can't believe that is the original paint. Metallics from that era did not hold up well at all. Yours looks spectacular.