Thread: Window winding trouble !

Window winding trouble !

I'm having a problem with my driver side window, I understand the problem, not so much the solution ;-) I bought the car with a non-working window (in a downpour), and indeed I fished the glass out of the door today, it's intact, but it doesn't want to stay in its bottom support channel.

Greg's incorrect nomenclature here:

A: Window winder with its 2 plastic thingamabobs.
    B: Channel that receives the glass, sliding on the aforementioned thingamabobs (see artful bidirectional arrow on picture)
    C: The glass, with a rubber bottom.

Here is the behavior - I'm making assumptions here that may be wrong:

I can pop the glass into The bottom channel B, and sort of guess on the alignment of A into B (B slides horizontally), and the window will wind UP OK - so I can stay dry (and hot). When I wind it down, the glass doesn't move and B pops out of the glass immediately, within I'd say 1" of travel, the A+B parts go down on their own….

Is it just a matter of glueing/attaching the glass bottom "better" into that B channel ? I checked the vertical guides for the window and I can slide the glass up and down by hand without "much" resistance. It's not exactly a guillotine, but it goes w/o much effort. Hard to quantify but it did not seem to be an issue. If the glass was kinda glued into B I think it'd go down. Ditto on the window regulator, it goes up and down very smoothly… So why is my glass separating from the bottom support channel ? I have a theory (everyone hide!!), I think it's got to do with the positioning of the glass into the B groove.

The sliding channel that receives the glass (B) appears to be sitting off axis vs the vertical window channels. In the picture below, the effect is *exaggerated* by the fact that B also slid too far back and now rubs on the vertical guide, definitely making it off center… I can recenter B. Problem is, what is center ?? Methink if B stayed "centered" between the 2 vertical grooves, it would stay aligned and support the glass all the way down.

So basically I am unsure of the correct initial positioning of A vs B vs C.
    B slides on A, and it must do so to keep pushing the window up slanted vertical guides… But where is the correct start position ? Same with the glass, really, if B is positioned funny I imagine it'll make the glass pop off from the B channel…or it'll force the B part to touch the vertical guides… Is the glass glued/otherwise affixed to B normally?

I hope this mumbo jumbo makes sense…

Also, I found this in the bottom of the door, but the PET showed no similar part in the arrangement….

Any help would be gladly appreciated ;-) I'll go dismantle my 912 to compare and swap parts, if I have to !
    Last edited by Greg D.; 07-17-2011 at 12:53 PM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Greg, it is not required or necessary to glue the window into the rubber channel. However there is a dimension that needs to maintained when installing the glass into the channel. From the lower front edge of the glass to the leading edge of the metal channel is 88mm. From that same lower edge of glass to the center of the first round hole into which the plastic slide fits in is 275mm (this is a coupe right? looks so in the picture)
    You stand the glass upside down on the bench and push the metal channel with the rubber insert onto the glass then tap it down with a dead blow mallet. Do not hit the metal channel where the plastic slide needs to go, you might distort that opening. The spring is from the door check mechanism.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The window channel is adjustable where it mounts to the door with the hex bolts, you have some amount of adjustment to correct exactly the issue you picture.

There is also one slotted bolt on the regulator itself that keeps the rail parallel to the ground as it goes up/down. I had this issue on two cars, and was able to solve it without gluing the glass, but I used trial and error. Ed's method sounds good. ( of course)

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Ok. no glue yet then. I will try again with the correct measurements and hopefully that will fix it without requiring non-stock methods ;-) Thanks !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002