Thread: Reason not to get Turbo Tie Rods?

Reason not to get Turbo Tie Rods?

I need new tie rods. Is there a reason NOT to get the turbo tie rods?

I see lots of posts about people wanting to tighten up their suspension, and this is often part of the general response.

But, I'm the kind of guy who did not like the B&H short shift kit on my Boxster - too notcy and stiff for no particular benefit (though I love the factory version). And, I'm driving a stock '73.5 CIS T on a pretty regular basis on PCH to work - with the factory wood wheel. It has seen the track about 3 times in the 25 years I've owned it.

Sometimes harder and firmer is not better for every purpose.

I have never heard anyone complain about them. I think the difference they make is small, and with the high aspect ratio tires on a 911 I do not think you would feel that they were too precise.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I agree with Max - the steering feels better with the tie rod upgrade but not overly responsive. I'd say if you are alternating between a Boxster and your 73.5 then you may not even notice it

There are issues with the thread engagement on the early racks (SWB) Also they are clearly not original, anyone looking at the end of the steering arm can tell (not that that matters if originality is not the absolute goal). Chuck Moreland explains:

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...urbotierod.htm
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Ok. So no one is arguing the non-Turbo tie rods are more smooth. For certainly if we wanted cars that were harsh for harsh's sake, we could drive BMWs! (i.e. the "European drive" marketing tool)

I'm a nut for originality, but I would go with Turbo tie rods. I do not understand why Porsche didn't standardize these across the 911/930 model lines.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

you will not notice much difference with the turbo tie rods installed. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

I needed a primer on bump steer...I found this...

http://www.myporsche911.co.uk/upb/vi...?id=19&t_id=11
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100