Thread: Gray 356 Black bumpers

Gray 356 Black bumpers

I thought this could be on a separate thread, John's daily posting of photos should be for his posting of car photos. ( I think his postings have been become a "first look" for most of us).

His recent photo of the gray 356 with the blackout trim and black tube bumpers has garnered a wide disapproval of some trim items.

I think (notice-this is my opinion) the owner deserves a "A" for the quality of the changes.
    But, a D- for one item.

Proportion.

It's much like a very good looking lady with one over sized feature...like her nose... all of the components may be good - but the relationship is not very pleasing to my eye.
    Yup, proportion is off.

Here is a quick study with a minor adjustment to the height of the top bars.

You may not like the finish/color but a slightly different size is presented for your opinions.

Improvement? Makes it worse? No difference?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

I'd say it is better but I would rather see no top bar, or else no bumpers at all.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I agree with Max...the bumper top bars just don't work. a Single bar approach would be ok on that shape...better (to my eye, anyway) to have no bumpers at all for that cleaner, outlaw look.
    Just an opinion...

Cheers
    R/Thom

Well, like any hotrod, outlaw looks are subjective. In this case it's not proportions so much as a few details that spoil the whole. I like the shaved nose and don't mind the Cal-Look treatment, but consistency could make it work. I agree with everyone that the bumpers are fussy; a single bar would fit the look better (still needs rubber gromments), and headlight/taillight screws should be black. And the chromies don't fit Cal-Look... shoe it with some wide-5 magnesium Empi or TS's to finish it off.

Still, it's laser straight in a muted color, and the owner/builder did what he wanted. Which is all that matters.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

There are things about this car which make me uneasy. However I suspect that is one of the necessary qualifications for an outlaw. I'm equally uneasy about dissing somebody's car who's only "crime" is that he took it to EASY on the 3rd weekend of the month where it was photographed by JZG as an example of a car which had a lot of attention from its' owner.

This gray is a super color. I think it's too light to be Slate Gray and too dark to be "Battleship" Gray (We had a Battleship Gray 911 SC and it was fantastic with the early color and later shape). I too applaud the owner's desire to have an unique automobile.

johnt