Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I Head Out to Check on My Cars...

So I Head Out to Check on My Cars...

...and I round the corner to see this! Holy crap is that a thing of pure monsterous beauty. The Grumman Bearcat is one of my all time favorite warbirds. Pure, unadulterated testosterone with wings. What I would give to get some hours in one of these. Interesting thing is that when I was heavy into the T6 community, there was a fresh (from a nose dragger) pilot who was getting training from my friend in his newly acquired T6. He had a real hard time with that transition and departed the runway on landing a few times. My friend suggested that he maybe get some time in an easier to fly taildragger before moving up to the heavy iron. I think he did sell that 'six and not sure what happened, but some years later he is flying a Mustang and now this.

We've come a long way baby...... Good for him. Sorry for the poor quality pics - all I had was an iPhone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 07-25-2011 at 06:57 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

The EAA Airventure fly-in at Oshkosh is going on this week and he probably got held up by weather. Our airport is about 40 miles west of Chicago and a convenient stop over point for pilots heading north to Oshkosh. We are just outside the Class B airspace of O'Hare so get a lot of cool airplanes in the days leading up to the big event. I am actually heading up there today to spend a little time at the show tomorrow. Sadly, I will be driving since I sold the 'six earlier this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

(drool) maybe i'll make it next year Scott

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

VERY cool Scott
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Damn! That is too cool. Sort of the SWB of warbirds

Neat. We always have one at our local Camarillo Airshow because of the CAF based there but this is the first one I have seen in Blue Angels livery.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    Sort of the SWB of warbirds
    Oh no, my friend... That is the RSR of warbirds! Short coupled - yes, but hairy chested, he-man stuff for sure. With a monster of an engine Pratt & Whitney R-2500. Those damn blades are as long as I am tall (almost).

I should have titled thread, "Look what I replaced my T6 with!"

Max, this is a fresh restoration and it may actually have flown as a Blue Angels performer. It is the cover story in Warbird Digest magazine. I have not read the article yet to confirm whether that is true and actually had just seen it last weekend. Imagine my surprize when I rounded the corner to see it parked on my very own ramp. Restoration was done by Ezell Aviation in Breckenridge, TX - one of the best shops out there - hands down. I'll post some OSH photos when I get back Wednesday.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to market price for one of these? No fair if you do a Google search.
    Last edited by t6dpilot; 07-25-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I do not know if it is the RSR of piston-engine warbirds. The P-51D for one would be big competition. P-38 is also cool, and I have a soft spot for the earlier FW-190 (A2 or therabouts) with the big BMW radial. Bearcat is certainly up there with the best, though.

My Dad wants to know if that is DuPage County Airport, and if you remember the airshows there back in the day.