Thread: WTB: F & R Sway Bars for Early 911 Restoration (73S)

WTB: F & R Sway Bars for Early 911 Restoration (73S)

I am looking for factory 18mm through the body type sway bars: front from '76-77 Turbo, rear from a '74 Carrera. Any help would be much appreciated!

scolson ,

1974MY and forward cars do not use through the body front sway bars.

You can probably use the later style. But I believe you would need to change other components along with it , to use the later style bar. You can probably get that diameter front swaybar in a through the body type (aftermarket ?). But not off a 75-77 Turbo 3L.
    Last edited by peekaboo; 07-25-2011 at 09:12 PM.

He's using on a 73S so thru body is what he needs. A 1974 rear is the same as any early and will work also so he is on the right path.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Hi,

I have a new never used rear 18mm bar, I think this is £150 from memory. Front through the body 18s are hard to find so I am going to have some made. The arms used on the turbo are also unique to the 18mm bar but these are available new and I also have them in stock.

HTH

Alan

I guess I was wrong. When I thought about this , I was referancing in my mind a factory front bar from a 1977 US 930 that i've had for a couple decades. It is the non thru the body type (must be a 20mm). I had thought that all G series cars (74 - on) did not use thru the body front swaybars because of something in the new front sheet metal. When I looked at the parts book yesterday , I only looked at the 911 model book (figured it would apply , I did not bother unfortunately looking at the 930 parts book also). And it confirmed outside body only for 1974-77.

Today , I looked at the 930 3L parts book. Apparently in one/some of the years .....a thru the body type was used , and in one/some......outside the body (I do not know for certain what year as the current Factory 930 3L parts catalog does not have any notes notes with either type bar).

It just lists an 18mm thru the body type was used , and also a 20mm outside the body type.

The applications are explained in P. Frere's Book (i'm writing this as I read) . Even though he does not list the 1977 930 in his actual list . He notes 1975 -76 as an 18mm , so I will have to guess this was the thru the body type. WAIT .....it is all explained in his text in the paragraph above his list :

"Of the H and I series (75 & 76) models , only the 930 Turbo still uses the more elaborate design with the separate arms and links".

&

"The simplified front anti-roll bar was adopted for the Turbo from the K-series (1977 models) on".

And apparently also , for all other 911 models from 1974-on (as per parts book and verified by Frere) :

"except for early 911 and 911L (O and A series) the front anti-roll bar was always of 15mm diameter until the front anti-roll bar design was simplified with the advent of the G-series.

Sorry for the mis-info. previously scolson.
    Last edited by peekaboo; 07-26-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks for the correction Peekaboo. I have 18mm sways F&R on my 73' 911 that were installed at SonAuto Motors in 1988 when the car was restored/upgraded. The front is a thru the body bar and I'm fairly certain it was from a 1976 930. I like the set up.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

I also run an 18 and 18 on swb. The rear 18 was not hard to find the front 18 another story. I had and old Weltmeister 22 laying around and turned it to 18 no big deal, front arms and stock drop links bolted right on setup looks stock and works great.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Thanks everyone the input it is always appreciated! But does anyone have these bits for sale?

Hi there,

I removed a front through the body anti-roll bar and a rear anti-roll bar from a 1973 911T coupe a couple weeks ago. I need to measure the bars but I think the front factory bar is 15 -16mm and the rear bar looks like an aftermarket piece and it measures18 - 19mm I think. If interested email me at hcarraro@hughes.net for details including pictures. In the mean time I will get accurate measurements.

thanks in advance,

Henry