Thread: Porsche Factory 2.2 Nitrated Steel Racing Rods Matched

Porsche Factory 2.2 Nitrated Steel Racing Rods Matched

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Banned
    I knew this process was used in growing plants but never realized that it was applied to engine parts also. Early green movement.
    Editing my former post regarding nitriding as I didn't check the auction. This seller doesn't make mistakes.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 07-28-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Last edited by 72targa; 07-28-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Nitriding is a heat treating process that diffuses nitrogen into the surface of a metal to create a case hardened surface. It is predominantly used on steel, but also titanium, aluminum and molybdenum.

Typical applications include gears, crankshafts, camshafts, cam followers, valve parts, extruder screws, die-casting tools, forging dies, extrusion dies, injectors and plastic-mold |ˈnītrīd|
    noun Chemistry
    a binary compound of nitrogen with a more electropositive element.
    verb [ trans. ] [usu. as n. ] ( nitriding) Metallurgy
    heat steel in the presence of ammonia or other nitrogenous material so as to increase hardness and corrosion resistance.
    ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: from nitr- (from niter ) + -ide . (wikipedia..................),,,,,,,,,,,Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff; 07-28-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Now, if we could just get all of the old literature updated...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Banned
    Goes to show how words and meanings change... unless of course it was a variation of the current process of nitriding.

Paid Member # 1991
    Guidance question please, because I'm asking from an amateur's perspective: I'm mildly interested in starting to collect some parts for a future engine build. The fact that there are zero bids might possibly be a clue and this is E-Bay, so things sometimes happen very quickly. Plus, optimisitc sellers are the norm

Anyone care to offer an opinion on what a reasonable price for these would be, if they are as advertised? Yes, I know that ultimately they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, reasonable or not.

- MR

If you bought a set of Carrillo rods, you'd be looking at $2000+

http://www.ebsracing.com/content.wws...ting-rods.html

These are factory NOS...but they're hidden inside an engine...depends upon the goal for your engine...originality vs. modern components.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Paid Member # 1991
    Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    If you bought a set of Carrillo rods, you'd be looking at $2000+

http://www.ebsracing.com/content.wws...ting-rods.html

These are factory NOS...but they're hidden inside an engine...depends upon the goal for your engine...originality vs. modern components.
    K, thx. I'm mostly interested in reliability combined with a moderate performance gain, while retaining an original or period-correct external appearance. What's the diff between "S" rods and "racing" rods? I'm guessing the additional treatment makes them either stronger or they are made lighter while retaining the same strength? Also, perhaps more closely balanced?

- MR

In my experience, it's more an issue of availability. These are old engines and they're aren't that many sources for parts for them. So it's not so much "original" vs. "race" as it is "what can I get that is original" vs. "what can I get aftermarket that will perform well in my vehicle". Then it's just a cost choice. My .02...other comments welcome!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa