Thread: SWB horns

SWB horns

Members of the Community,

My question is about horns. My parts manual seems to show that 1968 911s had bosch "fanfare" snail-shell horns (#901 635 112 02/03).

It's unclear whether some 911's had the older design #901 635 102 00.

In addition, I sometimes see "signaltone" horns, which are snail-shell in shape, but do not appear to be bosch.

Please help me with the question of authenticity for an early '68 aluminum case project.

Thank you.

ms

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=horns

. . . edit. . . I see you on the tail end of that thread. . .
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I was just going to ask about horns. From looking at the PET . It seems to infer the round horns are earlier than the snail/'fanfare' ? And the high / low are the earlier round type (although it is not easy to discern whether the Hi & low can go together optionally or the earlier other round type in parathese are optional (singularly ) as a replacement for the listed standard round type 901.635.102.00).

Also, it does not list high vs. low (Tiefton / Hochton) nomenclature for the fanfare type in the PET (just HZ) . But I see them listed with hi/lo notations in that other thread. Is that a date next to them : 09.64 . As in available from sept 1964 ? If so then that is pretty early (fanfare optional until 1968 MY ?).

I am confused totally why the differant types on various models (I could see if one type was standard & the other optional : Round / fanfare).

Lastly Both types (round & fanfare/snail) are listed as Bosch in the current PET. Did Porsche ever use MIXO horns as an option ? I was going through some boxes of parts from a diassembled 1967 912 last week. And I saw these in the pile. A Mixo TR119 hi-lo set. These were installed obviously on this car. Whether added by an owner , I do not know. But everything else in the pile is very factory.

They are definately period , as I find them listed as an option on a 1969 Citroen 2CV (doesn't mention whether one or two / hi-lo).

Anyone have any knoledge ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peekaboo; 07-31-2011 at 12:18 PM.

304065:

Thanks. You are correct. I was on the tail of the link you cited ("http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=horns . . . edit. . . I see you on the tail end of that thread. . .") I think your thread was asking what the face of your horn was supposed to look like.

If it matters, my car is #11880001, which is a very early '68 (as I said). According to the parts manual, my car had a number of '67 parts on it, which makes certain sense. So i am trying to make certain that I'm buying the correct parts, and thus, I consult the registry.

It gives me certain satisfaction that the horn issue isn't clear to several people, because sometimes I feel kind of stupid for asking.

The difference between my original question (which was apparently too stupid to be answered), and this question is that I've seen several sets of signaltone horns (and now we have a pair of Mixo TR119's to add to the list of "potentially original" horns), but i've never seen a snail-shell bosch horn for sale. I was hoping that someone could shed some additional light on the horn originality question.

I hope that my question hasn't violated some rule of the registry.

Nonetheless, thank you.

ms

mshaver51,

I would think your car is somewhat special. I have seen early numbers surviving in a year/model line (in the 1st 10). But never a number 1 / first unit.

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    [B][I]

I hope that my question hasn't violated some rule of the registry.

ms
    No, I think origionality questions are much of what members look for here.

My understanding is that "road" or fanfare horns were always an option. And I remember some countries had standards excluding some horns. The parts book doesn't support me though as the books were superceeded to align with available parts. It may be best to get a poll on horn types. And then there is the year changeover that may have put some 67 parts on early 68s. There are 68 experts and I'm sure they'll help. Good luck.
    H