Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 72 Factory AC System

Faktory-installed AC Lines

Great stuff, You Guys! --- big help to anyone trying to bring their AC system back to life

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    . . . couple more shots showing how the factory lines run. The first one shows the passenger side line running up into the front trunk area, and the second two show how the driver side line runs . . .
    So do the lines for a Faktory-installed AC system get 'schutzed-/painted-over,' like these?

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Great stuff, You Guys! --- big help to anyone trying to bring their AC system back to life
    I agree, while I didn't see this thread until I was almost done, it was still very helpful. Mine should be alive again by this time tomorrow. Details in this thread - Project Summer Comfort - Refreshing factory A/C

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    So do the lines for a Faktory-installed AC system get 'schutzed-/painted-over,' like these?
    No, mine were not. Nice dried out red-cloth hoses from end to end. The hose mounting clips were also free of schutz. I'm betting that car pictured here got extra dealer-applied undercoating. Best pic I can find just now, the original hoses in the lower left.

- Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Arne,

Thanks so much for documenting your project and linking to the old thread. I am about to initiate the same project and this has been an immense aid to me and I suspect will be to others in the future.

Thanks,
    Jim
    1973 911E Targa
    Firemist Cognac

It is probably worth noting here that the hose routing shown in this thread for the large hose on the right side is not correct for '71-and-older, and maybe not for '73 either. Other pics and factory retrofitting documents show the right side hose entering the engine compartment through a hole in the rear inner fender, pretty much the same as the left side hose shown here. The forward-mounted oil tank sits in that location in '72, and so the hose is routed along the frame rail and into the compartment just forward of the right shock absorber.

I do not know (yet) if Porsche reverted to going through the inner fender for '73, or continued as the '72s did. Later 911's used the openings in front of the shocks on both sides of the car.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    It is probably worth noting here that the hose routing shown in this thread for the large hose on the right side is not correct for '71-and-older, and maybe not for '73 either. Other pics and factory retrofitting documents show the right side hose entering the engine compartment through a hole in the rear inner fender, pretty much the same as the left side hose shown here. The forward-mounted oil tank sits in that location in '72, and so the hose is routed along the frame rail and into the compartment just forward of the right shock absorber.

I do not know (yet) if Porsche reverted to going through the inner fender for '73, or continued as the '72s did. Later 911's used the openings in front of the shocks on both sides of the car.
    My 1973.5 had factory AC with the hoses in front of the Shock Mounts.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Thanks, Harry. So it looks like the '72 hose routing was unique. Sounds like '73 may have been the same as '74 and newer for the 2 hoses that run into the engine compartment.

Harry, does the hose from the dryer (in the LF fender well) in your '73.5 go to the expansion valve up through the inner fender and behind the HVAC cover in the trunk? Or does it go down along the steering rack and into the smuggler's box from below?
    - Arne

Thanks, Harry. So it looks like the '72 hose routing was unique. Sounds like '73 may have been the same as '74 and newer for the 2 hoses that run into the engine compartment.

Harry, does the hose from the dryer (in the LF fender well) in your '73.5 go to the expansion valve up through the inner fender and behind the HVAC cover in the trunk? Or does it go down along the steering rack and into the smuggler's box from below?
    I removed the dryer/receiver early in my ownership so my memory is hazy but as I recall, it was a short line from the receiver to the expansion valve/evaporator assembly. Routing was rear condenser to front condenser out side the car to receiver/dryer etc. This layout from PET may be helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

PET diagram is not that helpful in determining hose routing details, and is not always correct for all cars. For example, it shows three inner fender grommets (#10) - one each for LF, LR and RR where hoses go through the inner fenders. That seems to be correct for '70-71, but '72 uses only two (LF & LR), and it sounds like your '73.5 probably only one (LF).
    - Arne

PET diagram is not that helpful in determining hose routing details, and is not always correct for all cars. For example, it shows three inner fender grommets (#10) - one each for LF, LR and RR where hoses go through the inner fenders. That seems to be correct for '70-71, but '72 uses only two (LF & LR), and it sounds like your '73.5 probably only one (LF).
    It has been a while and my memory is hazy so I will defer at this point.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    Does anyone know where the other end of this strap hooks to? On my car it was always hooked to the underside of the cowl lip, but I don't think that it is where it should go, but I do not see another spot?
    I'm also curious about this....

Name:  washer bottle 3.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  60.1 KB

My blower cover has a hook welded to it, but the strap interferes with the snap. Curious Arne or others, how you hook up the washer bottle strap, and still get the carpet to snap "neatly". Or maybe my assembly assumption or hardware is incorrect?
    Name:  washer bottle 2.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  78.2 KBName:  washer bottle 1.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  128.9 KBName:  washer bottle 4.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  100.9 KB
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949
    1973 Silver Metallic 911S