Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 72 Factory AC System

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Michael:

You are correct....the knee pads are metal and not foam filled to better support the AC system.
    That is a great data point, thanks Gib. That matches what I have in my 70S. Early on I was looking for replacements and assumed the transition from the framed/upholstered knee pads to the foam filled pads started in mid 71. So, I was only looking for the metal type, convinced that that was correct for all 70 MY cars. That was until I started hearing of early 70 cars having the foam filled type from day one. I put it down to parts mixing, inventory being used up etc. Then I got to thinking "How would they mount the AC vents if the knee pads were foam" (knowing that mine had been screwed up into the metal frame of my knee pads).

Yours is the first 2.4 that I've been able to verify having the metal framed pads which tells me that this part type was considered part of the factory air set up.

Cool!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Here are a couple more shots showing how the factory lines run. The first one shows the passenger side line running up into the front trunk area, and the second two show how the driver side line runs through from the engine bay across the top of the wheel well and down to the side of the driver side rocker.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Thanks Gib. Looks pretty "hosed" to me. Haha.

It's funny how the factory didn't make cleaner runs, with hard lines, and also make things more hidden. It definitely looks "tacked on". But I guess it did the job (more or less) and most of the time no one saw the hoses anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Here are a couple more shots showing how the factory lines run.
    You're gonna love all the little clamp screw holes in the bottom of the pan......blech!
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Very Informative indeed, however is it the same with AC system in 69?

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Here is a photo of an AC system in a 1969 911-S.

Besides weighing a lot, piston compressors are known for their ability to drain horsepower. When you flip the switch on a car with one you'll know it. They are very robust by nature but have been replaced with rotary types which are much smaller and function in a stealth like manner.

This one could be an add on as it doesn't have the blower fan in the boot for the other condenser. Without the parts manual in front of me I can't tell when the extra blower came into play but believe it would be post '71. I could be wrong.
    My AC blower was in the smugglers box (1/70) but, then again my 70 didn't have the extra blower/condensor coils.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Banned
    Tom, definitely dealer installed (VPC?). Those comp brackets mount to the 4 upper 6mm chain housing screws and weigh a ton- truly Mickey Mouse. Wrecks havoc on mag housings.

Gib

Thanks for information.

I had one 1973 and two 1973.5. My 73 and one 73.5 has the York compressor and the other has a black compressor with no name on it. But all three cars have the same duck work, hose stuff and everything else. My uncle owned the car new, so do not understand why they are different.

Plus one car has the original window sticker, it does not say a/c just apperance package for $900.

't mention A/C

Plus

Doesn't the water bottle have a rubber strap too?

Here is a pic of the strap holding the washer bottle. I think this is the right direction for the water bottle with the pump away from the gas filler elbow. The tank normally leans against the fiber board cover that protects the blower, wiper mech. and instrument wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17