Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 72 Factory AC System

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    That is a great data point, thanks Gib. That matches what I have in my 70S. Early on I was looking for replacements and assumed the transition from the framed/upholstered knee pads to the foam filled pads started in mid 71. So, I was only looking for the metal type, convinced that that was correct for all 70 MY cars. That was until I started hearing of early 70 cars having the foam filled type from day one. I put it down to parts mixing, inventory being used up etc. Then I got to thinking "How would they mount the AC vents if the knee pads were foam" (knowing that mine had been screwed up into the metal frame of my knee pads).

Yours is the first 2.4 that I've been able to verify having the metal framed pads which tells me that this part type was considered part of the factory air set up.
    I removed the under-dash air handling system today, and found that there are 2 bolts that hold each side of the one piece plastic plenum to the bottom of the metal under-dash (they screw into clip nuts) that the knee guards bolt to. The knee guards are vinyl covered metal as on 70 and earlier models, and they are simply notched to allow the fastening bolts to pass through them. There are rubber bushings surrounding the 4 bolts that cushion the plenum as it rides up against the knee guards.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Gib

I need the plastic vents in that part. There are four screws in the front, but cannot figure out how to replace the vents?

Bill

I will also note that, for factory AC, the ignition coil is mounted on a short plate to move it away from the decklid condneser. My 1973.5 had factory AC and the hoses were routed a bit differntly to allow them to stay out ofhte trunk. They went through the front wheel well directly into the smugglers box.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    I removed the under-dash air handling system today, and found that there are 2 bolts that hold each side of the one piece plastic plenum to the bottom of the metal under-dash (they screw into clip nuts) that the knee guards bolt to. The knee guards are vinyl covered metal as on 70 and earlier models, and they are simply notched to allow the fastening bolts to pass through them. There are rubber bushings surrounding the 4 bolts that cushion the plenum as it rides up against the knee guards.
    Guess I need to pull out my knee pads and take a look to refresh my aging brain. I could have sworn mine had additional screws into the frame. It's been a few years since I pulled them.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
    I will also note that, for factory AC, the ignition coil is mounted on a short plate to move it away from the decklid condneser. My 1973.5 had factory AC and the hoses were routed a bit differntly to allow them to stay out ofhte trunk. They went through the front wheel well directly into the smugglers box.
    I think my plate had two sets of holes in the standard plate so that it could be mounted in a lower position. I'll review my pics.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
    Harry:

There is a small plate which has the coil ring mounted to 2 holes, and then there are 2 add'l holes on the other end to attach somewhere....not sure where. Maybe someone could post a pic of where the plate is mounted.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Harry:

There is a small plate which has the coil ring mounted to 2 holes, and then there are 2 add'l holes on the other end to attach somewhere....not sure where. Maybe someone could post a pic of where the plate is mounted.
    Gib:

Here a shot of my coil with the plate mounted (look on the left hand side of the picture).
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Does anyone know where the other end of this strap hooks to? On my car it was always hooked to the underside of the cowl lip, but I don't think that it is where it should go, but I do not see another spot?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Mark,

There is a hook on the other end that goes on the cardboard cover for the blower motor. You do not have this cover shown.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

I'm going to bring this old thread back to life. I had not seen it before, but it was pointed out to me today as I've been wrapping up the re-fitting of the A/C on my own '72T. This thread was helpful on the hose routing, as the A/C for my car came in boxes, not on the car. A couple of additional comments...

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Are the knee pads the metal framed type or the foam filled type?

Now, if it was a non AC car I would say 100% originally with the foam filled type but, I have a theory about the AC cars with the thin Beru vents. Are they the padded metal framed type?
    You are correct....the knee pads are metal and not foam filled to better support the AC system.
    Just confirming, the kneepads on my car are also the metal-framed type. Seems to be consistent.

Here is a pic of the strap holding the washer bottle. I think this is the right direction for the water bottle with the pump away from the gas filler elbow. The tank normally leans against the fiber board cover that protects the blower, wiper mech. and instrument wiring.
    Actually, the washer bottle sits the other way, and the front trunk carpet not only has a hole for the filler, but is also sliced front-to-back so that the carpet lays better on the passenger side, and the fluid level is easily visible.

Name:  IMG_3268.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  127.6 KB
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic