Thread: 71S ID Plate Question

71S ID Plate Question

I'm am going to look at a 71S Targa project tomorrow. The car is pretty complete, and this will be be a substantial project, calling for a full rotisserie restoration. Some parts are non-stock and some trim & interior parts will need to be scrounged. I have some pictures from the current owner. One pict shows the ID plate from the front latch panel. The VIN checks out as a 71S Targa, but the ID plate shows "Series C". The VIN is very close to the end of the 71 MY production run and I would have expected the ID plate to show "Series D".

Any thoughts about this? Was it common to have the prior year Series identifier on the latch panel ID plate? The ID plate appears authentic from the pict. I will certainly be looking for the VIN stamp near the smugglers box when I inspect the car.

Any feedback is appreciated,

thanks, Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My '71T has "C" on the VIN plate like yours. It was built 4/71, last of the Karmann built coupes.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Reference: VIN 9111310778
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks Mike,

That puts me at ease. I was a little vervous about the "C" on VIN plate. Hopefully the car checks out as its been described.

Olde Threade Alerte . . .

Whatever happened w/ this? Any comments to pass along? --- you know? . . . . for posterity?

Kindova rare car, too

We Can Be Heroes

Rick,

Since you asked .....

I bought the car and it's sitting in my garage in the "as bought" condition. It has some rust in the rear floor and rockers that will need remediation. I got the COA from PCNA, and it shows some options that are interesting to me. It was ordered with the front bumper horn delete and white Porsche script on the doors. Paint color is Metallic Blue. "Rear window without heat" is listed as an option, which puzzles me. I've researched the available options for MY 1971 and the only rear window options I can find are: M436 - 2 stage electrically heated and tinted rear window, and M437 - soft rear window.

I'm planning on questioning the COA, since they spec'd an option that I don't think exists. The car currently has no rear defroster in the dash, but does have a glass rear window. It also has a fog light switch in the dash, but no fog light option listed on the COA. So, I need to invest some effort to sort this out before approaching PCNA. The 71S has led something of a hard life, and will take some effort to launch a proper restoration. I've needed to source several of the "S" only parts, and have assembled what I need.

Meanwhile, I've come across a 72S targa that is a more straightforward project and I'm making that my #1 project priority. I also needed to expand my garage to house the collection, and just got the final building inspection for the expansion a few weeks ago -- that's a subject for another thread. I'm hopeful of getting the 72 resto underway this spring, after I get a lift installed.

thanks for the interest,
    Ed
    1996 cab