Thread: Which muffler for 2.7MFI, again!

Which muffler for 2.7MFI, again!

Sorry. I know we've gone over this in several threads. I'm trying to piece it together.

I definitely need a new muffler for my 2.7 with mfi.

I've been leaning toward a "2 in 1 out" configuration based on what I've been reading about ideal back pressure for an mfi set up. What is the difference between the Dansk "Original Style" and the "Original Style Sport" exhaust? Both are available in the 2 in 1 out configuration. With both availabnle in a polished stainless the "Sport" is about $240 more. What do you get for the extra cash?

Any opinions on the comparable M+K muffler. "65 - 73 911 (with modifications possible)". What modifications?

In any case I'd love to hear some opinions.

Hey Chuck, if you are reading this, you'd mentioned in an earlier thead that you went back to a 2 in 1 out, after trying various sport units. Was it a "Sport" muffler or something more basic? I think you were suggesting going as stock or original as possible.

I'm not so hung up about the sound. I'm looking for the best peformance. If it's stealthier too, great.

Thanks for the feed back.

A.T.
    A.T.
    Early 911S Registry Member #500

Lightbulb

A.T.

They were both 2 in 1 out sport mufflers......
    One an AJ (Alan Johnson) sport, the other a MFI Monty...

Both sounded great...
    Both gave me slightly better top end...
    Both took away bottom and mid range...

One man's opinion......... go stock

Hope this helps
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hi Chuck

So with the Dansk units, Sport vs. non, obviously there must be some internal difference. Is it just simply less baffling in a sport version? For a while I thought Sport just meant it had 2 out. But I assume it's more to do with the internals.
    A.T.

AT
    I have recently put on a dansk sport (mild steel instead of stainless - but i had it ceramic coated from new) instead of the stock Dansk on my 2.4E modified to 2.7 with RS barrels, pistons, MFI cam, throttle bodies etc

the sport is a more open (slightly louder) exhaust and a seat of pants judgement is much btter suited to the engine than the stock one was. however the stock one was old and i changed to new heat exchangers at the same time making a real back to back judgement difficult. I can say that i would not go the other way though now i have had the sport one

i can tell you the "out" is wider than the stock one (i think 70mm v low 60's)

the engine certainly spins up faster (or appears to) but it may have lost a little bit of bottom end torque - hard to tell though as with E cams it has lots of it anyway
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I have the Factory sport muffler on my RS and really like the sound. No resonance issues whatsoever.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

WEll, here it is. I took Chuck's advice.

My current muffler was loud and racy, undoubtably due to the many rust holes as well as the 2 outs, realy a "2+more outs, ultra R sport" muffler, "R" standing for rust! I kinda missed the sound of my '69S with it's stock muffler. Then when I started hearing that stock might actually provide the ideal back pressure for mfi I moved stock to the top of the preferrences list. Oh, that and my mechanic had just installed an M+K in another customer's car and was testing it out when I happened by. You coud hear him open it up several blocks away. It sounded awesome but man, it was loud! After checking on the prices of various options, keeping in mind shipping, duty and taxes etc., I remembered to check with a few local guys. Eureka! I found a slightly used but basic Dansk. At least I think it's a Dansk. It has what appear to be the correct serial numbers for a stock early 911 muffler.

With some guidance I managed to install it myself today. ( I played hookie.) Man I love working on my car myself. It's always an adventure.

Here's the old.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by A.T.; 08-17-2011 at 07:23 PM.
    A.T.

Yup. This one was definitely past it's prime.
    A.T.

I may have been a little over ambitious here. I blasted this thing and painted it with that matt aluminum header paint. It looked really cool until I dropped it, scratched it and mucked it up even more trying to touch it up. Did I mention this was my first attempt at this?
    A.T.

After wrestling around with it, scratching it up some more and then pealing the paint off where I'd thought far enough ahead to actually put some tape to protect some areas, I got it bolted up. Oh, and I had to carve another notch into the bumper! I now have a very versatile rear bumper. One more notch on the other side and I can run any darn muffler configuration I want.

Yah. The paint is a mess. Couple hours of hard running and it will likely all be pealed off anyway.

I can't really comment on how it runs yet. It was rush hour by the time I got it on the road. But it sure sounds smooth and I think it's running a little smoother. It sounds like my '69 did, "like a bus", as my girlfriend once pointed out too me. That is to say I now hear more mfi pump and tranny sounds than anything from inside the car. I need someone else to drive it past me to hear what it really sounds like or find a good tunnel.

A.T.
    Last edited by A.T.; 08-17-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    A.T.

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    One more notch on the other side and I can run any darn muffler configuration I want.

Yah. The paint is a mess. Couple hours of hard running and it will likely all be pealed off anyway.

A.T.

#1, Isn't that the rare factory lightweight valiance option?

#2, the instructions on the muffler paint I got said to start the car and let it idle for 5 minutes, then off and cool for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes idle, 10 minutes off, then 20/20 then drive for 30. Or, something similar to that. I followed it and it seems to be holding. You should check what your paint says.

Jay