Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest on tires for RSR?

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    The recomended rim width for the 15/60-15 (170/65VR15) is 5-6 inches, but I think it would work. For the rear the 18/60 should be fine.

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page...TB15_TB5_Tyres
    I agree with Rob about the Michelins. But I think the Avon's look better on the 73 RS's. They come in the original sizes.
    H

Harvey, what about Avon's for the ST? It looks like they make a 245 60 15 for the rear and a 225 65 15 for the front. Would these be right for the 8 and 9's?
    72S, 72T now ST

Mr. Longballa, I'm not Harvey but I have been looking into tire availability a *lot*, and IMHO, the Avons are way tall in those widths. The Mich 18/60=24.3", the Avons = 26.6"

You have basically 2 options for an ST:
    -Hoosier (R6/A6) - Works but you will likely have a little more stagger Front to Rear in terms of height, a LOT cheaper
    -Michelin TB 5/TB 15 - Bang-on look, excellent performance, correct heights that match Front to Rear

For an RS or a narrow-body car with 6s F &7s R, you also get the great Avon CR6ZZ in 185/70 and 215/60 (original sizes, correct match in height)

If you just have 6s, then the Vredestein Sprint Classic or the Michelin XWX come in 185/70

If anyone knows of more please mention them
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

I tried the Avons for my car/size wheels and they would have raised the car by about 3 inches . Harvey probably knows of some different Avons, but the ones available to me were just to tall.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by YTNUKLR View Post
    Mr. Longballa, I'm not Harvey but I have been looking into tire availability a *lot*, and IMHO, the Avons are way tall in those widths. The Mich 18/60=24.3", the Avons = 26.6"

You have basically 2 options for an ST:
    -Hoosier (R6/A6) - Works but you will likely have a little more stagger Front to Rear in terms of height, a LOT cheaper
    -Michelin TB 5/TB 15 - Bang-on look, excellent performance, correct heights that match Front to Rear

For an RS or a narrow-body car with 6s F &7s R, you also get the great Avon CR6ZZ in 185/70 and 215/60 (original sizes, correct match in height)

If you just have 6s, then the Vredestein Sprint Classic or the Michelin XWX come in 185/70

If anyone knows of more please mention them
    That's what I was thinking also that they would be to tall. The TB15's are probably the way I'll go when the SP 8000's wear out. 215 front and 275 rear. a TB15 in 225 and 265 would be nice. I already bought the 185/70's XWX for the 72S and I'm still pissed at how much they cost!
    72S, 72T now ST

The TB15's are 270. On a 9"rim they measure 10 7/8" total width, and 9 1/2" tread width. Running Hoosiers on the street is a bad idea.
    Harold
    All gone:
    '73S coupe
    '73E targa (RGruppe)
    '73T targa
    '72E targa

'79 930/DP935
    '68 VW Crewcab 3.3 930 turbo bus
    '86 VW Doka
    DP935 Registry

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    I tried the Avons for my car/size wheels and they would have raised the car by about 3 inches . Harvey probably knows of some different Avons, but the ones available to me were just to tall.
    The sizes that I have used are 185/70 & 215/60..The wider Avons are too tall.
    The only other Avons that I have used sucessfully are the vintage grooved slicks.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    The sizes that I have used are 185/70 & 215/60..The wider Avons are too tall.
    The only other Avons that I have used sucessfully are the vintage grooved slicks.
    H
    Thats what I thought, so they would fit fine on a narrow rim, just not the wide wheel we are running. I agree thay are very period correct looking.

Harvey, what size Avons would you recomend for a SWB using 7Rs and flat 6s, and are spacers required for the rear?
    Some more info if needed: Rear brakes 911L, front Carrera.

Thanks
    Rob Abbott

"Harvey, what size Avons would you recomend for a SWB using 7Rs and flat 6s, and are spacers required for the rear?
    Some more info if needed: Rear brakes 911L, front Carrera."

Rob,
    I would try the 185/70 and the 215/60s
    The reason that I say try is I have not put the 215/60s on a SWB before. They measure OK, but I still like to trial fit. If you have a dealer near you can usually try one for fittment.
    That is what I do. I could try one for you here on my SWB if I can find the tire.
    We use 12-15mm spacers. The 12 usually requires a little clearancing the alignment bolt but gives you some much needed fender clearance.
    H

Latest on tires for RSR?

For what it's worth Rob/Harvey, here is what I used on the rear of my 67. I can report that I had no fender rub either on the road or at the autocross. Also bear in mind that I have hammered back the fender lips. The tires are Goodyear Eagle GT's 195 X 65 (I like them because they are Z rated) on real 7'R's with 16mm spacers. I added a about a 1" spacer where the rear of the fender bolts to the body brace to slightly push out the rear edge of the fender cutout. I have -2 degree negative camber and 26 mm torsion bars. Here is a picture from Parade last week to give you a visual.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.