Thread: Batteries

Batteries

My 73S Targa was in desperate need of new batteries. I had installed Interstate U911s back in 2001. Pretty good service life! But there was always acid everywhere and I just couldn't keep up. So I went shopping. New Interstates were qouted at $124.95 each with a 3-4 week delivery time. I called Lauderdale Battery in Florida and they had Sonnenschein A512/40As in stock. Even though they cost more I decided to go with them due to quicker availability and the prospect of no leaking acid. I placed the order on Monday at about 2pm CDT with standard shipping ($50) and the batteries were on my doorstep in Birmingham at 10AM this morning (Wednesday)! FYI.

I can't wait to get them installed and start driving.

BillM

I was really happy with my Sonnenscheins. But don't expect them to last as long as your Interstates. Mine started not holding charge after about 2 1/2 years. When I called Battery Sales in Florida, I was told normal life for these is 2 to 3 years. I did not mind shelling out the money to eliminate the acid problem, but $150+ per year of battery life is a deal breaker for me. I have an 83 SC with an Optima that is 4+ years older than the Sonnenscheins and is still going strong , even if the car has not been started in a while always plenty of juice. I don't really want to , but think I am going to go with the Optima on it's side trick in the box. I hope yours work out better than mine did. Be aware there are different charging requirements, if you charge them as standard practice with lead acid batteries they can be damaged.

I've used the Sonnenscheins in all three of my dual battery cars for almost 20 years now. My experience has been when used in my daily driver that some sets have gone 6 years or so, the ones in my garage queens if allowed to go completely flat may only go 1 or 2 years. My fault, not the batteries. I have finally done what I kept putting off years ago, bought a battery maintainer for the one that sits the most. So far it has worked fine, we'll know more in a couple more years!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I will be using a battery maintainer on the Sonnenscheins. I used it with the Interstates as this is a garage queen along with our Boxster (plus two other cars). I quess that's how I got 11 years out of the Interstates.
    I spent at least 8 hours over two days diassembling, masking, neutalizing, flushing, drying, wire brushing, priming, painting and reassembling. I'm looking forward to being "acid free" for a while!

I have been having good service with the Westco Miata AGM batteries. They are a little smaller than stock, and since they are agm there is no danger of acid leaks. They were designed for the trunk of the Miata and do not need venting.

The Sonnenschein's fit real nice and one would think because they are so big that they would have an easy life and last a long time. Problem is they are not designed as a car battery. They cost a ton and mine only lasted a couple years. Guy at Batteries Plus said they are wheel chair batteries and don't have the CCA's for a car.

I would not buy them again.