Page 50 of 94 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Sepia 911S

Hello Mr. Greenjeans,

Thank goodness Kathy doesn't know how to drive a stick!
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Trunk Light

It took awhile for me to learn how to operate all the lights in the 911S. There have been many dead batteries because I left the panel lights, head lights, turn signal, trunk light, or engine light on. A battery charger is always kept in the trunk. Slowly, things have improved. However, on Friday night after the Welcome Party at the Geneva Concours, I returned to the car and the interior lights were on. My stomach did a flip-flop ... somehow, unknowingly, the rocker switch was in the on position. Luckily, the car started. But, it started me thinking about lights again.

On Sunday, I met a mechanic who worked on the early cars. I asked him, "Is there anyway I can turn off the trunk light?" He showed me how to unplug two tiny wires on the passenger side of the trunk, behind the carpeting, up in the corner, to turn off the trunk light. That made me smile. As Vic Rola can tell you, I forget to put the hood down. I should have asked more questions at the time; but, it takes me a while to figure these things out.

Should I really be fiddling with the wires?
    Do the two tiny wires turn off anything else?
    Will I damage the wires by unplugging and replugging them?
    Can an on/off switch be placed on the wires?
    What are the wires/plug called?
    Is there anything else I should know about these wires?

This is silly ... but ... copies of the early paperwork should be displayed and the trunk is the perfect place to do it.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Not silly at all, I do it for the same reasons,,,I may want the lid up for some period of time. You won't hurt the wires or the plugs (they are called male/female spade connectors ,,,for obvious reasons) Another way is to remove the top fuse in the top fuse box. Remove the fuse cover, the i.d. label inside should show that top fuse is for trunk, dome light, and clock. You will stop power to all three, if you don't care about the clock that is one way to accomplish this, it would also take care of your dome light problem!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Teacher Mayo! All these little tips sure do help me out. Hopefully, I can get the lights all sorted out and purchase the "gel" batteries you recommend.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Been a month . . . time for a bump-date

We Can Be Heroes

A Summer to Remember, My Jewish Uncle

The Barrington Concours, This Car Matters Award

Name:  IMG_0588.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  153.1 KB

Hello LongRanger. Thanks for asking.

For one thing, I have been reading your wonderful thread. Wow! It is superb reading.

It has been a summer to remember. Besides winning at Parade, the S trophied at Barrington and Geneva. The 911 is driving this marvelous adventure and steering me down new and different roads. How did all of this happen?

There are so many stories to tell and thoughts to share. So let me begin ...

The best part of Barrington was my new, Jewish uncle, Sol. When the show opened to the public, an old man came by, sat down, and didn't leave until the show was over. Sol sold Jaguars. He wanted to know all about the brown Porsche. We spent the afternoon talking about sports cars and our lives.

About 2:00 p.m., he opened up his wallet and handed me a two-dollar bill, "This is my lucky $2. You will win a trophy today." "That's not going to happen, the other Porsches in the show are rarer and fancier than mine."

Later on, I was handed a note, stating you won ... something. Soon, I was in line with the other cars, nervously driving up to the grandstand, worrying about the people walking about, praying not to stall the car, and talking to Jim. While the Master of Ceremonies explained the trophy I thought, "Huh ... a special award ... This Car Matters?" Afterwards, I parked the car, sat down flabbergasted, and didn't say a word for a long time. My thoughts were jumbled. When I realized the 911 S along with the story can compete against other marques, another door opened. That is something to think about.

Sol and I went to dinner. A kind and generous man is now part of the story of Sepia 911S. Sol's lucky $2 is now in my wallet.

"Hippie Girl" talking with the judges at the Barrington Concours.

Name:  IMG_0451.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  118.4 KB

More to come,
    Last edited by Sepia911S; 10-05-2013 at 03:22 AM.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Congrats Candyce. Always interesting to read your latest adventures. Very nice award. J

A Summer to Remember, US 30 Drag Strip Reunion

Name:  IMG_0825.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  122.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0824.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  107.2 KB

For many reasons, this is the year to show the 911. An effort was made to participate in more local cruise nights. People would say, "You need to go here, and here, and here." One cruise night led to another and so on. After all the concourses, it was refreshing and relaxing to just show up.

As a young adult, I would occasionally go to US 30 Drag Strip just to watch. Today, it is mostly abandoned ... every once in a while there is a crazy bus or truck race. At a cruise night, I was invited to the US 30 Drag Strip Reunion at White's Pit Stop. Declining the 8:00 a.m. start time, I arrived about 1:00 p.m. As I drove the car in, everyone noticed Sepia. Being intimidated by all the stares, I parked towards the back, said hello, and walked around looking for another sports car only finding rat rods, hot rods, dragsters, and souped-up cars and trucks.

Returning to the car, I was greeted by a throng of people looking at the old truck parked next to me. So, I joined the group and listened to the young man's story. No one asked about the old Porsche.

At many of the cruise nights, people don't exactly know what to make of the car or me ... just don't fit in. So, I sat down in my chair with a magazine ... Esses, Panorama, Excellence ... and waited to see what would happen. One by one, people would come to ask questions. Car people are interesting, opinionated, and just fun to talk with. And, they want to share the story of their cars.

After two hours, I packed up to leave, and said my goodbyes. Driving out, I was flagged down and asked, "Will you come back next year?" I nodded, "Yes!"

Local car shows and cruise nights keep me grounded.

More to come ...
    Last edited by Sepia911S; 10-06-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Thumbs up

Candyce......... You are my hero... one in'a million.......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thank you, Chuck! What can I say? It is a hoot ... the people and their cars. I don't understand all the mechanical stuff. But, I am curious about all these people who are so passionate about their cars.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027