Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: POLO 4 cylinder 911 engine and 1967 912 almost done

912 rain shield and oil temps

It's been 85 to 95 degrees and 10 to 20% humidity here in the Denver area the last few days. 11% today and 90 degrees. On top of that I have been making runs from 6 to 11000 feet the last 3 or 4 days. Arvada then up I70 and over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park yesterday. Let's see, hot, no moisture in the air, and thin air to cool the oil, cylinders and heads down. The POLO engine has been running 210 to 230 degree oil temps. I took the rain shield off today and ran Coal Creek to Nederland to Boulder to Arvada today. It's a nice 1 hour quick run in the 6 to 9000 foot of elevation range.
    The oil temps stayed in the 190 to 210 range the whole time. Heading to Steamboat Springs with a group Saturday. Looks like the rain shield will stay off till the cool of fall or when I run the coast between Carpinteria and Monterey, California.
    If you are running a high hp engine and still have the rain shield on, you might try running without it and see what happens.
    By the way the next oldest Porsche in the group is a 78 911SC. Most are 2000 and newer cars. As long as they keep it under 140 I'll be OK. I've been to 125 and there was a lot left to go as long as the car doesn't start hovering off the ground. I do love this engine.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 06-21-2013 at 06:19 AM.

I finally got around to weighing my car today. It came in at 2240 pounds with 3/4 of a tank of fuel. The car with the 616 engine was 2084 pounds dry. If a gallon of fuel weighs 7 pounds or is it 8. I'll use 7 for now, times 12 gallons that's 84. 2240 - 84 = 2156. If I took off the heavy SS stock muffler and put on a light 2 in 1 out M&K, I should be able to get it down to about 2140. So a extra 80 to 100 hp came with a 56 to 72 pound weight penalty depending on what muffler I choose. It appears a Polo engine with a oil tank, 11 qts of oil, hoses, thermostat, rear to front and back oil lines and a front oil cooler splits the difference between a SWB 912 and 911. About 20 to 25 pounds of that weight increase is ahead of the rear axles. That would include the thermostat, rear to front and back oil lines, oil, and the carrera cooler. The cooler the heaviest part is 14 or 15 inches ahead of the front hubs. I have not done anything to lighten this car. If someone was inclined to get weight off this car, they probably could get it down to it's original weight.

I'm trying out some video compression software. Does it work? Anyone know of other compression software for a PC at a reasonable cost?
    http://www.pompolodesign.com/video.html
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 08-17-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Name
    Bob Fleming

Comment
    Chris, could you post this to your site...www.PompoloDesign.com

I have a one word exclamation to describe your 4 cylinder car,

Z O W I E E E E E.

Passing me the key to your car on my recent visit to Denver and letting me go for a hooligan drive was outstanding. That engine pulls so strong it is just amazing. The run down the road with the signal intersection under the roadway presented a less than desirable condition with me making the on ramp light - but caught in a low rpm condition in second gear - with a blend lane filled with a truck I just had to put my foot into it.
    The gearing and the power that 2.4 engine puts out, yup, zowiee is the best description. It pulled from just below 2000 rpm to well over 6000 in a blink of the eye, sat us back into those wonderful seats and propelled us to a exceedingly unlawful velocity. I really didn't want to back out of the throttle.
    Rarely does one get the chance to experience that thrust.

I have to thank you for putting a highlight on what was a truly wonderful experience in Denver... old 911's...great folks, and your hot rod.

Smiled for the rest of the 2000 mile drive, thanks to you.

Bob Fleming
    with that old 1964 911.

Bob compiled a list on all known 1964 911's and just sold his #149 car in Monterrey a week or so ago. He is now restoring a 67S.
    He was in Denver to inspect the #133 car. The #133 car went to the Quail and might make it back to So Cal for a showing 9-14 or 15.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 08-29-2013 at 03:05 PM.

hey bob...sounds like you had some fun out in CO...glad to hear such & you drove this car...AWESOME...!!

Bob is a heck of a guy & I am sure his experience in the polo car are true & ones to think about = should anyone consider building a similar polo car...they ARE great cars & underrated cars too... :-)
    signed...
    the other Bob Fleming

Posted today on Pelican
    I post this stuff because I believe more people should have the pleasure of a 900 series car with a Polo engine, You can find a link to Dean's site on my 912 spec page on my site.

The history of the 4 cylinder 911/912 engine

Hakse has given me permission to post his article from the Netherlands 911.912 Summer issue of their magazine to my site. It's on the history of the 4 cylinder 911/912 engine. Go to www.pompolodesign.com
    scroll down on that page and click on the magazine. Enjoy.

Chris,

Thanks for the reference to the article. It's a great read.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
    The history of the 4 cylinder 911/912 engine

Hakse has given me permission to post his article from the Netherlands 911.912 Summer issue of their magazine to my site. It's on the history of the 4 cylinder 911/912 engine. Go to www.pompolodesign.com
    scroll down on that page and click on the magazine. Enjoy.

Thanks for posting the article Chris.

Nice to see that your ride is doing so well... a little jealous of the Polo!

Maybe one day I'll grow up and have one too.

Thanks,
    Jace

'68 912 RS

Last edited by Chris Pomares; 08-20-2020 at 06:13 AM.

Dean's new site.

http://www.polomotor.com

2015 Porsche with 4 cylinder 911 based engine.

What a concept. Lighter, better braking, and handling. Neat idea.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...er-report-says
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 03-22-2014 at 09:17 AM.