Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: POLO 4 cylinder 911 engine and 1967 912 almost done

The undercoating will probably be done by Vintage Car Works when the Elephant Racing spring plate stud supports, and upper rear shock mount supports are welded in. You will see to some extent the bead around the outside edge. I don't want it ground off. I will clean up the melted undercoating. The grinding marks will be covered. I'm confident VCW's will be able to match an spot in the undercoating. After that a few thousand miles of small pebbles and road dust it will look fine. The only way you'll see the bead is under full wheel lock after you get down on your knees. Whoever ends up with this car down the road, I'll want them to be able to see that area has been streghtened.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pomares View Post
    I need some input. Which decklid? Bearing in mind this is a gentleman's hotrod. So we can do whatever we want. The yellow decklid is a SWB decklid from my car and is there just to look at the lines on the car, which is a 69. The exhaust tips probably will get shortened some.
    I say the 'hump' deck lid as it original. And if it is a rod, why not? - Angelo

I've been getting the body ready to be mounted on the Celeste. Since the drivetrain and suspension are off I thought this would be a good time to check the body out after 55 years of use. I took a peak in the torsion tubes. Perfect! I've taken the turn signals and headlights off and it looks like the day the car was built. I'm lucky to have such a rust free car. I've digital probed everywhere I can think of. I've replaced the engine sound pad. Metal under the pad? Perfect. I even had a 1 by 1 hole cut inboard of the front passenger side suspension pickup point and ran the probe over to the driiver side battery tray (SWB). No rust. Then POR15, then wax and welded up the hole. Over half of the paint is orginial. The only place I haven't seen is under the glass. When this work is done it will be nice to know the car is strait or will be strait. To be honest the car seems to have been in a small shunt at some point in it's life. I'm guessing it was hit at the left front. It was repaired well probably sometime early in it's life. It has a 68 driver front fender but it's a last 20 67 Karman car so the 68 fender could have been installed at the factory. Another reason to put it on a Celeste. Finding a longhood that's never been in some kind of shunt is a very rare car indeed.

The new engine build for Doug's E targa will have a bit more go when done. It's based on an aluminum SC case with new Mahle 10.2 to 1 P&C's and will be a 3.2. It will be single plug so compression might end up maybe 9.5 to 1 ish. It will run full S pec MFI and have a nice new green engine shroud with powder coated oil cooler air channel. Head work for the MFI injectors, intake and exhaust ports along with valve guides is currently in the process. Rebuilt fuel pump. The throttle bodies are off to be restored. I'm thinking it will be kinda like a early to mid 70's 3.0RS (3.2) engine. The green shroud will make it look like a 69 2.0E MFI with an extra 1.2 liters and S spec. Granted some parts will be plastic not early mag but close enough. Power wise it should be a bit of a sleeper. A 2.0E has about 140hp if I recall. I'm hoping this one will be 215 plus. As it will have good torque the 901 will have a C 1st, then GA, O, V, ZD. A ZD at 80 is a nice cruise at 3200 rpm's behind a 3.2 that will hardly raise a sweat. Doug will have to learn to be very nice to 1st. A C 1st gets you accross the widest intersections with rpm's to spare.

If all goes well I'm hoping both of these cars will be ready by late spring. Then it's on to the 69 2.7 POLO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 12-30-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Looks like a fun build.
    A 3.2 liter 9.5:1 MFI engine should have way more power than 215hp? I'm guessing 240-250.
    My stock 2.7 liter 8.5:1 MFI engine dyno'd at 228hp.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Doug
    If it makes that kind of hp the other Doug will be very happy.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pomares View Post
    I've been getting the body ready to be mounted on the Celeste...
    Chris,

I'm not sure who Celeste is and I know that as we all get older mounting anything becomes more difficult...but perhaps this type of information should remain private...or at least posted in off topic?

Celeste will surely appreciate a bit more discretion from you in this area...

Jim

Celeste would probably be shocked and horrified; Celette less so
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Thanks for the spelling correction. I'll try to get it right in the future. I never won a spelling contests in school. But I was an assassin in dodgeball. I'm looking forward to knowing the suspension pickup points are spot on before adding the coilovers and Elephant's GT3 type front suspension.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

The car is just about ready for the CELETTE. Then several pieces of bracing will be welded on. I’ll post as things progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.reSeeWorks.com

Looks strange to see those modern wiring looms hanging out the back of a early 911.