Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: POLO 4 cylinder 911 engine and 1967 912 almost done

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    Chris, is that the Aspen track you speak of?

Haasman
    Yes. In the 70's you could go there after work and most evenings the track was empty. With the long days of summer there was plenty of time to get there after work as everything was so close. A two bedroom apartment was $250.00 a month in town. I could drive my Porsche in the summer and ski in the winter. Life was very good.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 01-01-2013 at 07:14 AM.

I know the track well. In the summers of 72 & 73 we used to go up there from Denver. I'd have Grady Clay ride along and critique my style. Learned a lot in a very short amount of time.

Haasman
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    I know the track well. In the summers of 72 & 73 we used to go up there from Denver. I'd have Grady Clay ride along and critique my style. Learned a lot in a very short amount of time.

Haasman
    I was there. I just didn't have the car yet. I was driving a 67 VW bus. The bottom part was green close to the Porsche color. The upper part was a cream white. They made a nice pair. By the way, Grady did a valve job on that car. He also gave me the idea of calling the 912 POLO car a 912P. He came to a open house at RaceKraft&Design for a PCA event. My car was on the rack.
    I'm in Arvada. The mountains are about 8 miles west then up. It's about 20 miles to Boulder off to the right and 15 miles to Golden out of the picture to the left. Vail is 100 miles and Aspen 200 miles on I70. My car is driven either in the Colorado mountains or along PCH north and the coastal hills north and east of Carpinteria, Ca. toward Monterey.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 01-01-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Dean will be sending my engine mount back in about a week. We are going to make a jig for it here in Colorado. After the Excellence article interest has perked up. We will be sending a engine mount and POLO engine to Hong Kong. Doug will be building one in Kansas City. And a 912E is being completed in Europe. That will be 4 so far. This is getting to be great fun.
    I hope to have the car at the Phoenix swap in March in LA and the Dana Point 356 event in July. If I have the time we will fabricate custom heat exchanges for the headers between the 2 events.
    2013 is looking up.

www.PompoloDesign.com
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 01-02-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Recliners on a just finished black seat.

The pins can go out to in or in to out.For more pictures go to www.PompoloDesign.com
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 01-31-2013 at 07:31 AM.

50's/60's outlaw recliners

Just recieved from the chromer. The 2 bottom pictures. For more pictures of this and another model go to www.PompoloDesign.com
    The pins can go out to in or in to out.
    I'm going to put these on my car with black upper bolts. If someone just takes a quick look it will look like the holes are the same all the way up. By the way this is a 2 bolt upper seat I borrowed for about 30 minutes. I cut that black bolt and just stuck the head in the middle hole. I'll run the pins in to out so it won't be very evident where the seat angle adjuster is. This set is 1/4 inch steel. They weigh 8 pounds per seat, stock is 7. My aluminum ones are a little thicker and 4 pounds per seat. I'm willing to add a little weight as I wanted chrome. I'll make it up by putting a M&K muffler on my car this summer. It's 15 to 20 pounds lighter out back than my stock SS muffler.
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 01-31-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Recliners on Red

These will go on a 64C car.
    Chris

From the 912 Registry

Bob,
    I like your attitude.
    Unlike you I would sell mine, and build another one. Working on them is more fun than driving them. That's why it will never be totally done. This car has over 6 figures in it and that's not including my time. I value my time and ability. There are over 2000 hours of research, looking for parts, work on the car, and other things to come. Like modifying a set of B&B heat exchangers for a 6 to work on a 4. Or have them build a set. Or making a set of Pompolo seat recliners out of titanium. Or putting a set of Greg Bates valve covers on the engine. Or putting a carrera front suspension on it with boxster calipers all around. Or changing from a 24 to a 25mm rear torsion bars. There are 2 more complete sets of custom wheels in the works. See anyone paying me 911RS money? It looks like it's permanently mine. Oh, whoa is me.
    Chris

Just watched a show on Velocity about the guy in SoCal who built the first hot rod. It took him 10 years of fiddiling with that car before he was totally satisfied with it. I can relate to a guy like that. Ford built a great car with the first V8. This guy wanted to personalize his.

Porsche built a great car in the 901 and 902. I wanted to personalize mine. There are 3 more in the works after they read about this car. One each in Europe, Hong Kong, and the USA

May 19th

Here is a email I received today. If you can shoot professional quality pictures and are going to either of these car shows you might want to contact Hakse. I'm going to create a spot on the Pompolo Design site for pictures shot buy other people of the car with there names and a link to their web or blog sites.
    I hope to see a bunch of you at these events.
    All the best, Chris

hstraatsma@hetnet.nl

Hello Mr. Chris Pomares ,
    I am Hakse Straatsma from the Netherlands, just working on an article for the magazine of the official Porsche Dutch Classic Porsche 911 & 912 club (only for owners of Porsche 911 and 912 build before 1974). It is an article about the never produced Porsche 4 cylinder 911 type motor.
    It is not possible to write this article without writing about the Polo 4 motor of Dean Polopolus. I would like to publish this article with some pictures (with your allowance) of the first 912 with this motor. Is it possible to send me by mail some pictures of your Polo 2.4 motor en your 912P in high definition? I need for the printing in the glossy magazine high definition pictures.
    I hope you can help me.
    Regards
    Hakse Straatsma

Here is where the car will be shown in May and June.

The car will be shown at these 3 events.
    http://zone8.pca.org/events/2013/05M...s_5-19-13b.pdf
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFYhNTWCAE 6-1-13
    http://www.cpco.org/concours/index.htm
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 06-11-2013 at 10:12 AM.

I just fine tuned the ecu a little more. I tuned out the slight hesitation when the throttle bodies are opened. It runs even better. I took a couple 356 guys for a ride. They both mentioned how smooth it ran. That would probably be the 5 main bearing block. The adventure continues.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 06-11-2013 at 10:12 AM.