Thread: Tire and Oil line clearance opinions....

Tire and Oil line clearance opinions....

This will be my first time running these 23x9.5x15 Hoosiers on my 1975 911 w/ a 3.2. I'm autocrossing tomorrow.
    the PO of these wheels and tires gave me spacers so the tires would clear the oil-lines. He said he ran this same setup on his '75 911.
    So I'm all mounted up, and packing the car for tomorrow...and thought I seek second opinions. Below is a photo. I've got about 3/8" to 1/2" clearance between the oil lines and the tires. My suspension is setup very tight. I think I'll be ok....anyone have a different opinion...or maybe confirm my belief? thanks gang.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

My opinion is that you won't rub. Usually if you have a finger thickness clearance you'll be okay, but you really need more fender!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed... Maybe I'll post an update after tomorrow. I appreciate your reassurance. I'm packing some additional spacers, just in case.
    Yes...these tires could use a wider fender, but since this is my first pass with this size tire, we'll see how it goes. The Kumho V710s that I normally run fit fine on 7" Fuchs and don't stick out....but I think the patch on these is a bit bigger, so I'm hoping I'll get some good stick...
    Dave
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

hoosier clearance...

The tires work great. The rear clearance was not an issue. However, when I wounted the front wheels, the tires rubbed the shock dustcover, so I kept my Kumhos on the front. I guess I'll have to add spacers to the front wheels and recheck the Hoosier clearances. But the rear tires stuck well, and no rear clearance issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by davewadd View Post
    However, when I wounted the front wheels, the tires rubbed the shock dustcover, so I kept my Kumhos on the front. I guess I'll have to add spacers to the front wheels and recheck the Hoosier clearances.
    When I ran that setup on my '73, I just cut the dust covers on the front shocks down to about 1" height instead of adding spacers, which will push the outside shoulder of the tire even further out beyond the fender lip, and I was only running the 23x9-15 cantilevers, not the 9.5". The leftover tubes from the covers can also make some honking big exit pipes for a custom dual-out sport muffler conversion, too.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!