Thread: Best workshop manuals or books for a new 1965 911 owner to obtain?

Best workshop manuals or books for a new 1965 911 owner to obtain?

Hey guys,

I'm completely new to Porsche's and just bought a dune buggy with a 1965 911 drivetrain in it. I need to get some books to help me with understanding the mechanics of the 911, maintenance, up keep, diagnostics, repairs, etc. Since my drivetrain is an all stock 1965, books and manuals that specifically deal with nuances of the Solex carb system, center lube cams, Nadella u-joint style axles/drive shafts, etc. would be especially helpful. I don't want to waste money buying books that won't help me so your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Scotty
    Last edited by Scotty; 08-22-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Out of the books I have, which are the Factory workshop manual (for models '65-72ish), the Intereurope manual and another whose name I can't remember (by Hill I think), the Factory workshop manual is hands down the best. The dune buggy throws a bit of a wrench in there, since you don't need the specifics on the interior or body. Most of that is in Vol II, though. It's possible that Vol I (which covers the engine, trans, and most mechanical things) could have most of the information you need. Expect to pay around $200, give or take, for a workshop manual.
    Von Whitley
    Los Alamos, NM
    1968 Polo Red coupe (under reconstruction)
    1968 Metallic Silver SWT (under reconstruction)
    Registry number: 2016

Thanks Rotmilky,

I'm on the lookout for a factory manual.

Anybody have any comments on the following books:

1) Haynes Porsche 911 Coupe & Targa 1965-1989, Owner's Workshop Manual

2) Clymer Porsche 911 Coupe & Targa 1965-1989, Owner's Workshop Manual

3) How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines, 1965-1989 by Wayne R. Dempsey

4) Porsche 911 Performance Handbook (Third Edition) by Bruce Anderson

5) Porsche 911, 1964-1969, Owners Workshop Manual by Autobooks

6) Porsche Service Manual by Bently

If anybody has a factory manual your can PM me or email me at josephscotthall@yahoo.com

Thx,

Scotty

Here's the interesting thing: the manuals were developed in the sixties. Many of the photos in the FWM (the factory workshop manual) are actually of prototypes, airbrushed to change them to match the production cars. There are also photos of US-Spec 1968 911Ls in there. Anyway, for a 65, this is actually perfect, because your car matches what's in the book! A guy with a 75 will have a harder time matching things up even though the parts are 98% the same.

Wayne's book is the best single volume about the engine. Not perfect, but very, very good. Bruce Anderson's book is a great survey of the car, with illustrations of all the various parts, less a technical manual than a history of the evolution of the 911 as a performance car (in the 1970s, really).

So on a desert island, it's the FWM and Wayne's book. Everything else is noise. (Noise that may be euphonious, but noise nonetheless)
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks 304065

Bought Wayne and Bruce's books online today and got a scanned copy of the 2 volume 1965 FWM on CD from a forum member. CD pdf's look good on screen but don't print too well so I'd still be interested in a reasonably priced hardcopy of the 1965 FWM if anybody has one.

Thanks,

Scotty