1973 Porsche 914 2.0
    901 5-speed gearbox

VIN# 4732906320
    125,814 miles
    Black on black- original color
    5-speed 901 manual gearbox
    Recent service and deep maintenance

New price. Offered at $14,500

This 914 2.0 is well equipped and retains all it original equipment from the factory except for the radio. I have not obtained a COA from Porsche but as a 73 2.0 it came standard with the appearance package that includes 15X5.5 light alloy Fuchs wheels, a leather covered shift boot and steering wheel, a padded storage bin between the seats, anti-roll bars (the rear was removed) and the 3 gauge center console.

Shortly upon acquiring the car in January 2011 I took it to Wayne Baker’s shop (Personalized Autohaus) in San Diego, CA and had them perform a comprehensive service and “deep” maintenance with the instructions to “make everything right” so that I could enjoy the car worry free and take it on the Targa California in early April 2011. $4,341 later the 914 was done and ran with the big boys on the Targa. It performed flawlessly and excelled on the tight twisty back roads of California’s central coast. The 914 never missed a beat, it returned great gas mileage and over the 1200 mile trip I didn’t even need to add oil!

The work completed in Feb 2011 included:
    • Replaced all vacuum hoses and re-sealing injectors
    • Replaced clutch and flywheel, TO bearing fork bush
    • Repaired front clutch tube
    • Installed new speedo cable
    • R&R fuel tank (swapped 1.7 for correct 2.0 tank), replaced fuel lines
    • R&R blower switch controls
    • Major tune-up. valve adjustment, plugs, Pertronix ignitor, oil & fuel filter

Compression results were 140 on all 4 cylinders

Prior to my ownership the car spent most of its life in California and I am aware of its past 3 owners. To the best of my knowledge the car spent 26+/- years in Sacramento, 4-5 years in Encino (LA suburb) and now 2 in San Diego. The car has been very well cared for and well maintained since new and the recent records I have show the following:
    • New distributor and Bosch coil 7/07
    • New alternator and starter 7/07
    • SS brake lines 7/08
    • New (4) Bilstein shocks and 140
    lb rear Weltmeister springs 7/08
    • Michelin Exalto 195/65 15 tires 2008.
    The car currently has BFG G Sport's on it 205/55/15's, and I'll include both sets with the car.

The car was repainted in its original black paint about 5 years ago, and still looks very nice. It’s not a concourse car, but the paint is still nice and shines very well. I repainted the hood in March 2011. Overall the paint is in great shape, there are no rust spots visible, but it does have a few nicks here and there. The bumpers are nice, the chrome has the typical fading on the front from road exposure but it is straight and dent free. The bumper top is very good. The rear bumper has one small dent, barely noticeable and the chrome is excellent. The top is also wave free and in great shape.

I bought this car after I inspected it and found it to be rust free. I checked the longitudinals, the hell-hole, the firewall (incl. behind the backpad) the floorboards and all the other rust prone spots. The car checked out and I wrote the check.

The interior appears to me to be original; the dash, seats, door panels, backpad, carpets, center console, and the gauges are all there and seem to be original to the car. Everything is in great shape for a 38 year old interior but it’s not perfect. But if you love patina and originality, well then it is perfect. The seats have a few small holes on the bolters, and a seam or two are beginning to split. The carpet is worn on the driver’s threshold and against the floorboard, but all the pieces are intact. The dash is un-cracked (very rare) but the top vinyl piece need replacing as it has shrunk ( I have the kit). For a driver level car, I can honestly say the overall appearance of the car is very, very nice and it has all aged gracefully.

Everything works on this car as it should. It shifts very well, it accelerates smoothly through all the gears, it handles great and the brakes perform well. Nothing vibrates or shakes or feels wrong, it’s tight and smooth. The Targa top periodically squeaks at the rear latches, but I think they all do. All the gauges, lights, switchgear, doors and locks, and mechanical systems perform as they should. This car could take you cross country.

Needs: Some of the rubber seals/trim pieces could/should be replaced. I have recently replaced the expensive front Targa seal. It also markes its territory with a small oil leak that is a nuisance but not bad enough for me to seal up yet.

This is an honest and great running 73 2.0-liter 914. This is the perfect Porsche for someone looking for a fun and affordable sports car that is mechanically sound and a blast to drive. Keep it as is and enjoy it. Everyone that sees it loves the car and appreciates the condition that it’s in. It would also be a great restoration candidate; it doesn’t need much from where it is now. It would also be a great platform to do a 6 cylinder conversion if more power is your thing. You would be spending your money on an engine and not rust repairs. It’s a great fun little car and I think it should be kept as is as there are fewer and fewer complete, unmolested 73 914 2.0’s on the road in this nice condition.

I have decided to sell this car as I would like to buy a more track focused car that is already prepared (or at least on the way). I just can’t seem to modify this car and alter the originality of it. Buying an existing track car is also more cost effective than starting from scratch.

I have tried to accurately represent this car the best I can, but you are welcome to inspect the car which I would recommend to verify for yourself. I am happy to supply you with additional photos and a copy of the recent mechanical service that I reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NickP; 10-20-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: new photos added
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

New photos added:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Ok, back from Rennsport and still going through Porsche withdrawal but it's time to renew my efforts to sell this 914! So this is a post Rennsport bump. Price lowered to $14,500.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST