Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 906 910 Exhaust Complete Original

906 910 Exhaust Complete Original

Hey, I got the engine and now the exhaust, all I need is the rest of the car!!!

...just wanted to share some good photos I took of the exhaust earlier today, not often do we get to see these. Enjoy!

PS: here are more large hi-res photos http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/factory_...exhaust_system
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like an Star Wars weapon

Thanks for sharing!
    _
    “Simplify and add lightness” Colin Chapman

ex-1988 Carrera, ex-1991 Turbo, ex-1992 968, ex-1990 Carrera 2, ex-1997 Carrera 4

Quote Originally Posted by DAVSER View Post
    Looks like an Star Wars weapon

Thanks for sharing!
    Now that you mention it. It does! Maybe George Lucas owned a 910, a 906?

Very cool.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

1971 911e
    1978 911sc Targa (Sold)
    1973 911 RSR (Clone)

Interesting. Why the boxes around all three pipes before the collector? That seems rather crude and like it would mess up the tuning.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Interesting. Why the boxes around all three pipes before the collector? That seems rather crude and like it would mess up the tuning.
    To the contrary, I actually discussed this with Carl Thompson, its purpose is an "equalizing chamber" to improve the scavanging of the exhaust equally in the system. I still have plans to take the exhaust apart, measure and upload those photos.

Interesting. I would think that the collector would do that in conjunction with equal length tubes, and the gasses would not be expanding and contracting so sharply. But I am not an exhaust expert.

Why do other megaphones not have those chambers? Even ones used on 906s as I understand. I do not remember seeing boxes like that on 917 or other exhausts.

Maybe it is meant to smooth out the power curve by reducing the scavenging effect (both good and bad scavenging depending on the rpm).
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

906 Porsche - Additional Exhaust Photos

My best guess is how all manufacturers do try different design concepts and this was simply part of the exhaust evolution tried on these cars. All good points... Attached are some additional 906 exhaust photos I had the opportunity to take several years ago. Would like to do the same for a 910, but I don't recall having any, will have to look...
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 08-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.

one more...

Quote Originally Posted by 914-6gt View Post
    My best guess is how all manufacturers do try different design concepts and this was simply part of the exhaust evolution tried on these cars. All good points... Attached are some additional 906 exhaust photos I had to opportunity to take several years ago. Would like to do the same for a 910, but I don't recall having any, will have to look...
    Little side track, but is this a 901 case (not 906)?

Richard