Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help w/ Wheel Stud Identification

Help w/ Wheel Stud Identification

SOMEONE HAS SEEN or USED THESE WHEEL STUDS BEFORE, RIGHT?

For the sake of safety, we're trying to identify the manufacturer and 'quality' (after market, from China, etc.) of these long racing studs.

After a more detailed inspection, we noticed the way the threads end at the bolt shoulder, this raises a bit of concern. Maybe these are in fact the best studs one can buy, maybe not. If I'm going to have issues with these wheel studs, it's best to find out now, not later.

Is anyone familiar with this type of long racing studs? Look at the photo showing the head of the stud and how they're machine into a dome, I'm not familiar with them, there are NO manufacturing markings of any type that I can see and it makes me nervous. If by chance you know where these studs came from, I appreciate your posts and information.

Thank you!

PS: Sorry about the "ruler", couldn't find my metric dial-calipers and trying to provide some idea of the length starting at the hub.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 08-28-2011 at 04:14 PM.

I've never seen anything like those either, I agree, the end thread looks like a fracture waiting to happen.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Those are new to me.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I've never seen anything like those either, I agree, the end thread looks like a fracture waiting to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Straub View Post
    Those are new to me. John
    Thank you for the replies Ed and John and concurring with my concerns. I would still like to identify their manufacturing source if at all possible, maybe 'flag them' if they are in fact an inferior product any one of us should not be using at the track, etc.

'Cudo's' to Berney Buschen for first raising the 'red flag' on this item, and I quote...

"Oh-Oh,

Armando-

Those do not look like factory studs, the machine work looks off and the heads are normally not machined to a dome. Not to mention where the threads end it’s not usually a sharp step (nasty stress riser) but more of a smooth tapered transition from the threaded section to the shank. Any close ups of the bolt head itself, like a proof stamp?

Bernie-"

Armando
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 08-28-2011 at 10:09 AM.

These studs are avalilble in various lengths, and also available open steel lug nuts. Made by the same supplier to NASCAR teams. These are Porsche fitments.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Those look alot like American (1 ton P/U). With the huge heads turned down. Or a Chinese copy of an American truck lug.
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 08-29-2011 at 04:33 PM.

My old eyes get tired this time of night, but I'd swear that the threads on the studs in question are SAE "fine" (24/inch). I think I count 6 in the 1/4" inward from the 3" mark on the tape.

johnt

Sorry, I ment to say American 14mm truck studs. The difference in threads may be rolled VS cut?
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    Those look alot like American (1 ton P/U). With the huge heads turned down. Or a Chinese copy of an American truck lug.
    H
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    Sorry, I meant to say American 14mm truck studs. The difference in threads may be rolled VS cut?
    H
    Hi Harvey. I agree, the heads of those studs appear to have been turned down, but interestingly enough, they show zero rust which also makes me wonder if they were recently modified by the end user (as opposed to purchased as shown). Are you saying the threads appear "rolled" to you? If so, that would be ideal. I don't yet know if these are 'safe' to use since their origin remains a mystery. Thanks!

I have a 3" Porsche stud that has marking on the head X NSF X and below that 10K