Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chick Iverson - Newport Beach

Chick Iverson - Newport Beach

A friend recently found this plate frame and was asking me about the era that it may have been accurate for.

I know that Iverson was a popular VW dealer as well. Anything else about the dealer?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cornpanzer; 09-04-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

1960's and 70's.
    1969 912 tangerine coupe 82K original miles
    1974 911 red targa 71K original miles

Tom Michelsen
    Central Coast Heaven

Shell Beach, California

Sorry Raj,
    forgot to put the pic up.
    BTW, nice to see you participating in threads other than 964 and 914-6. LOL
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Its not mine, but I will ask him to get a pic of the back. The patina and rounded edges make me comfortable that it is genuine.
    When did Iverson go out of business?
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Yeah, it is hard to tell with the flash used in the photo. Here is one on Rogers barn find 69. So we know that they were around back then.
    Last edited by Cornpanzer; 09-04-2011 at 01:41 PM.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I think that was the dealer that Gary Emory worked at. He could give a complete accounting if you run into him at an event.
    The Porsche/Audi deal was for the 70MY and later as I recall. Our P/A dealership opened for the 73 MY-so I wasn't around. Other than a customer..
    Before that it would have been VW/Porsche.
    There was supposed to be an agreement to have a seperate facility for the Porsche/Audi franchise and the VW one, but some wouldn't play along.
    I belive Iverson was one that still combined some parts of the P/A dealership with VW.
    Iverson had a much better reputation as a dealer than Vasek. I still can't figure out why Vasek's frames are so popular today. They were not very sought after when new.
    BTW I think Bozzani's frames were the coolest..But Iverson still had Newport on them..
    H

I had been under the impression that these were from the mid to late '70s but I'm certainly no expert. I had two with a red/orange one that I kept because of the patina.
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 09-05-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

I joined POC at an event that was held at Chick Iverson's dealership in 1968. It was on PCH at the same location the Porsche dealership is now.
    And yes....Gary Emory worked there.
    Rob

If I recall correctly, the dealership was in business under the Chick Iverson name through 1980 or so.
    Dick Moran

The whole frickin' Emory family worked there! I've got a load of Emory/Iverson stories, but they are much better coming from Gary.... I've been blessed to have gone back and forth to California from the Northwest to various Porsche events with Gary for the last 20 years in my truck with a car in the trailer... you have NO IDEA about the stories, absolutely hilarious...

Gary's father Neil Emory ran the body shop at Iversons (60's) for a while. Never heard about Neil Emory? Probably one of the most notable hot rod customizers of the 40's and 50's...Neil opened Valley Custom with his brother in law Clayton in 1948. See more info here:
    http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?...ey_Custom_Shop

Gary's older brother Don also worked in the body shop at Iversons alongside his father and later ran his own bodyshop in partnership with his father in Fallbrook and together they restored many Porsche's including one that is in the factory museum, a 56A coupe in Lago Green with Rudge knock off wheels.

Gary's other brother Kenny was running the VW parts shop while Gary was running the Porsche side of the parts shop.

At one time, all 4 of them were working there....

Personally I think Iverson and Emory although "noted" are very under-reported in Porsche history.

Eric

BTW, did you know that Iverson had a branch dealership in Grants Pass Oregon for a while?.....that's probably the rarest license plate of all!
    Last edited by Soterik; 09-04-2011 at 05:37 PM.