Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 67 S value

67 S value

Is a 67s worth more as a restorable Street car or a Historic race car???

I bought my car 15 years ago to run under the 67 GCR's with RMVR out of Denver. It's caged (bolt in) with a fuel cell and a mild 2.0s race engine. Nothing wild or fiberglass on the car except the front bumper. I need to decide which way to take this car. I don't plan to race it again, but it might see some more DE's.

I can very easily take the race stuff out of it, put the carpet back in, a headliner, etc and paint for a nice numbers not matching street car.
    Bob Petitt
    1967 911S Coupe 307653S, my barn find - 55,000 miles Looking for engine #961269 and trans 901/02 #104337
    1971 911T Coupe 9111120264, my first 911 back in my garage
    1972 BMW 2002, my first car - 350,000 miles and counting
    1972 911T Coupe 9112100970, Sporto, parted it out..
    1983 BMW 320i, my everyday car - 138,000 miles and gutless
    2005 Subaru Outback, the daily driver - boring
    2006 Volvo XC90,

Registry Membership #202

Bob,
    I'm converting my #'s matching 67S back to street from it's former race status with RMVR & PCA Club Racing. I believe if the car is "collectible" it will be so in either configuration.
    Dale Thero S Registry # 200

If there is no significant racing history with air tight provenance, I strongly believe that a street car (That came that way from the factory) is more worth than a hot roded racer - Especially if the race conversion was done in the past 15 years for local club events. What usually counts is period history and conversions when it comes to racing.

However, values might be close to equal in my opinion, if:
    The car is not numbers matching, and,
    The race conversion is done very, very nicely

Your car might be like that and then it really is a toss up and race experts might have a more specific take on it. If numbers matching, no significant racing history, recent conversion, easy conversion back to street, then I would definitely say street is the way to go if you only look at values.

Mike
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

street car...no question. 9/10 buyers want a bone stock (or close) vintage car. (Look at Auto Kennels site. Paul has what appears to be a very nice 67S race car with great history...that hasn't sold. At the price he has it listed now someone could buy it, 'restore' it back to OE...and probably be ahead of the market. I believe he is asking $60k)

Interestingly enough...Europeans don't seen to care about numbers matching. In Monterey the Germans we ran into could of cared less about the numbers matching as long as it has an original 67S motor. People in the trade (dealers) have told me the same thing. Look at the sale prices for non-matching numbers cars in Monterey (and on the European for sale sites ebay.de etc) for your own reference. Excellent chance your buyer will be a European if you were to sell.

AND who is to say a numbers matching car is really....numbers matching. Every month or so a non-stamped Porsche case is for sale on this site...COAs are often incorrect...etc. You get the idea.

The numbers matching cult is an American thing.

Thanks for all the input.. I've long thought I would be ahead in the long run as a street car so I never took it off the deep end as a track car. Personally, a 71 T makes more sense as a long hood track car, but when I found the car you couldn't run anything newer than 67. I grew up vintage racing with Dad in 356's and just can't get into the amount of $$ spent these days to be competitive.

Cage might just come out of the car tonight. I've never driven it without the cage, might be scary...

Along those lines, what's the best way to clean the original 50kmile carpet kit??? Need some work on the edging, and a couple of leather piecies. It sat inside for 15 years before I became its steward.
    Bob Petitt
    1967 911S Coupe 307653S, my barn find - 55,000 miles Looking for engine #961269 and trans 901/02 #104337
    2006 Volvo XC90,

Registry Membership #202

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    street car...no question. 9/10 buyers want a bone stock (or close) vintage car.

Interestingly enough...Europeans don't seen to care about numbers matching.

The numbers matching cult is an American thing.
    Louie
    Don't put H1's on your car then.

Can't speak for the German's but numbers matching is a vital ingredient in the UK (especially on a 67S of which there are only 7 RHD survivors on my database in the UK)

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Mudi...contact Tony at Autobahn Interiors. Many agree that he is the go-to guy for interior stuff on these early cars.

Your challenge (as was mine) will be finding the many 'unique to 67S' interior trim bits. Feel free to IM me and I will share with you where/ who helped me put ours back to OE.

Fellas on this site are an amazing resource...and often very friendly and helpful.

Start with Tony...he knows his stuff.

210bhp....I didn't realize the difference in mindset about numbers matching. Watching all those non-numbers matching early cars sell at Monterey for near world record prices was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post

Your challenge (as was mine) will be finding the many 'unique to 67S' interior pieces
    I still have these available. Open to offers
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...t=67S+Armrests

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Message already sent to Tony. His work is exquisite. I have all the interior and exterior trim, except the front bumper and trim. All boxed up and waiting. I also have the complete original front end suspension and webasto heater. Not sure i'd put either back into it.
    Bob Petitt
    2006 Volvo XC90,

Registry Membership #202

Next step....ship the car and the bits to Tony. Wait a while...pays a few bucks...and have the car returned. Presto!

Our 67S is with him now...