Thread: Italian car steering wheel question

Italian car steering wheel question

My 73S, #310 sold Nov. 11, 1972 through Delcar SAS in Varese, Italy. It was the very first 73 911S delivered to the dealership and had been sold before it arrived. I have been in touch with the original owner, and subsequent owners as well as the owner who brought it to the states in 86' or so. I got it in 88'. There is no record of a steering wheel change. My 400mm steering wheel dated 9/72, is foamed. I thought all E's and S's came standard with a leather wheel. I know that dealerships in Italy would buy strippers, especially S's to keep the price down. My car is one of these. No air, SR, PW, radio etc. It is an M34 spec car though, RS gas tank, front trombone cooler, euro pump etc. And all the rest of the Italian livery. My question to our Italian brothers is, were dealers that price conscious that even the steering wheel would be changed to a cheaper version or is this an anomaly or mistake? Still lovin' my car. BTW it's one of the "founding" cars of the early S reg. Steve #2 earlyS Reg

italian 73S

Steve, I would expect a leather steering wheel, maybe the dealership exchanged it with a T one before delivery. The 9/72 date seems correct.
    Please see this one that was for sale before the summer, is number #325 and has a fully original interior:

Name:  IMG_1222_1.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  76.0 KB

Particular of the steering wheel.
    Name:  IMG_1229_1.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  30.6 KB

Btw, I was at a meeting of our local P club with Matteo, the son of the first owner of your car, there was a car from the same Varese dealership still with the original dealer sticker, unfortunately I only had the blackberry to photograph:
    Name:  IMG00147-20110720-2222.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  26.1 KB

Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Andrea, thanks very much. That answers my question. Thank you as well for the photos. Matteo 's dad test drove a Dino 246 and a demo S at Delcar and chose to buy the Porsche. They had none in stock so he took the first S that came in for the 73' model year sight unseen. When it arrived he wasn't sure he liked the aubergine color, but when he got it home his family thought it was the most beautiful car they had ever seen. He kept the car. If I ever sell it I will contact Matteo first. It should go back to the original family. I will get the sticker copied. Hope all is well, Steve