Thread: Non cancelling indicators (1973 911T)

Non cancelling indicators (1973 911T)

I assume this is a relatively common problem - return the wheel to straight ahead after a corner and the indicators continue to flash.

Before I dive in and pull everything apart - does anyone konw if there is a typical problem or failed part that causes this?

Is a stripdown, clean and lube likely to help?
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Subscribed
    Yes it is common
    I cancel the signal as my hand comes around in a turn, but would like a real fix.

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

The signal switch itself may be your problem.

The original switches used two spring loaded fingers that would extend into the path of the canceling ring when the directional was selected (left or right). As the wheel was returned to center the canceling ring would wipe this extended finger and the spring would pull everything back into line (the signal would shut off and the stalk return to center).

Sometimes these original switches will gum up and a careful cleaning will get them going again. I've had this happen on quite a few early cars where the fingers get gooey or funky and just stick a little bit; just enough that the return springs can't get the job done.

Replacement switches work in basically the same principal of something extending into the path of the canceling ring (in the case of the replacement switch this is a single plastic block) and, once wiped, everything returns to center and the signal cancels. If you are having canceling issues and find that you have this type of switch (block vs fingers), I am not 100% sure of a cure.

The block may be worn out; if that's the case you might be SOL. You can try futzing with the canceling ring, but don't get too carried away. You may be able to clean the return mechanism, but I've had mixed results myself and can't offer a guaranteed solution.

With everything removed turn the signal on and watch the block extend. Take a small flat blade screwdriver and wipe (up or down) on the block (depending on which directional you've chosen) to see if it cancels. If it does, your canceling ring may be worn out ... which is HIGHLY doubtful.

If you can't get it to cancel you have two choices: 1) replace the switch or 2) turn off the signal manually and save some $$$.

Hope this helps a bit...
    Last edited by Mr9146; 09-08-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Thanks Marco, most informative.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Hi Ryan,
    Had the same issue many years ago, ended up being the mechinism inside being full of gunk (technical term) as described above. I cleaned it out using some cotton buds that i dipped in mineral turps and some aerosol contact cleaner you can pick up from an electronics store.

Jump in, it's not hard.

Cheers
    Paul W
    1969 911
    Australian Type 901 Register #77

Good advice guys. I was just assuming that the little ears had worn or broken and I didn't have the energy to pull off the wheel and take a look. I'll be installing a recently restored tach this weekend and will pull off the wheel in the process. I will inspect for old crusty German gunk

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

I did all the cleaning etc, it still did not work. I then checked all the screws for tightness found the were loose. Tightened everything up and they worked. Another time, different car, everything seemed in order but they would not cancel. I added a little JB Weld to the fingers and shaped with a file to dress them out along with a very small tweak outward of the cancel ring. This extension worked again. I think the car must have been driven in the city with a lot of turns cause the fingers had worn down and could not contact the ring. Maybe solder would work instead of JBW, I don't know. SS

I had this problem also. Now my signal cancels after taking everything a part and cleaning. I wish everything
    was this easy.
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/

Thanks Marco. Fixed mine today also. It only required a little cleaning off the old gummy lithium grease followed by a say of new lube.

Nice easy/free fix.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306