Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Serial Number

Dash Serial Number

I just took a look at my serial number below the radio and under the knee pad. How do I connect the number with my VIN? Is there someone on the Registry who has the documentation or knows how the numbers match up to the car/COA?

Thanks for your help.
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/

It should be the car's VIN. If it doesn't match...
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Name:  Misc Auto 1 007.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  105.2 KBName:  Karen's '68 Targa 005.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  112.9 KB
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

In my car (68 Coupe), the number stamped below the radio (hidden by the knee pad) is the same as the VIN. It matches the number on the door pillar and in the front trunk region.

The grease marker on mine seems to be either covered in grime or gone. I think I can only see a single digit left.

-Von
    Last edited by Rotmilky; 09-11-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Grease marker comment.
    Von Whitley
    Los Alamos, NM
    1968 Polo Red coupe (under reconstruction)
    1968 Metallic Silver SWT (under reconstruction)
    Registry number: 2016

68 and older it is the Chassis number. After that it is the production number under the knee pad. Porsche will verify if it is correct or not but they will not provide a production number for your chassis number. They will just tell you if it is right or wrong.

Don

The first digit should be a 1 for 911. The second digit stands for the body type: 0 for a Porsche Coupe, 1 for Targa, 2 for Karmann Coupe. The third digit stands for the year it was built in (0 for 1970, 2 for 72 and so on - not sure how 68/69 was handled, presumably as a 8 and 9?). The last four digits indicate the sequential production number for the body.

E.g.:

1132882 would be a '73 911 Targa and the 2882th body built in 73.

As mentioned above, Porsche will tell you whether or not the production number matches your VIN. I’m not sure when Porsche switched from stamping the VIN to the production number below the radio.

Guys , My car is a '73 (sorry to leave that out) and therefore the number under the knee pad is the production number, however what I don't know is if it's correct to the serial number of the car.

Anyone have any idea how to find this out?
    Last edited by Dave Pugh; 09-11-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627

One correction to what Clemons wrote above: the 1 at the beginning refers to a production body while 0 refers to a replacement body. Any way, the coupe body is the same regardless of sunroof or not, 911 or 912, and AFAIK RHD or LHD. The Karmann coupes were in their own series as was the Karmann built 914/6 bodies (code 3). Only the factory can put the production # together with the VIN, and given both numbers will only confirm if they match.
    If you give a VIN and production pair to me, then I can give you an opinion if they would be a reasonable match.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Dash Serial Numbers

Thanks everyone. DaveP, I'll pm you.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    One correction to what Clemons wrote above: the 1 at the beginning refers to a production body while 0 refers to a replacement body. Any way, the coupe body is the same regardless of sunroof or not, 911 or 912, and AFAIK RHD or LHD. The Karmann coupes were in their own series as was the Karmann built 914/6 bodies (code 3). Only the factory can put the production # together with the VIN, and given both numbers will only confirm if they match.
    If you give a VIN and production pair to me, then I can give you an opinion if they would be a reasonable match.
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627

Dash Serial Numbers

Dave,

I tried to PM the pix but to no avail. Here's the VIN plate, Body(trunk) Serial Number and the behind the knee pad number.

Thx for your help!

Dave Pugh
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627