Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72/73 Production numbers

72/73 Production numbers

Original post.........
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 10:24 AM.

9112100799 picked up at factory 11/19/71 T coupe

Tom

Raj:

My recently acquired 72T sporto is 911 210 0988, with production number 1020475. Interesting that the production number is so low compared to the VIN. The Fuchs are dated 11/71.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    911 210 0988, with production number 1020475. Interesting that the production number is so low compared to the VIN.
    Gib, you are so right. I would expect 1022475, can you double-check?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Both the VIN plate and VIN stamp show 0988, and both the yellow grease pencil on top of dash and stamped number on lower dash show 0475. The question is when in the build process were these numbers assigned? Does the spread have to do with the sporto, or any other option (AC, elec windows), or was there some other method the factory used to determine these numbers?
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Normally I would expect that the production # is stamped after welding but before painting. This is apparently the case with the 914. Painted bodies would then be warehoused until required on the production line at which point the VIN would be assigned. Generally the production number will be well ahead of the VIN since many models are drawn from the same pool of bodies. I have another coupe only about 40 away by VIN and 2200 away by production number. Your particular body must have been sitting around for a very long time for some reason. What is the paint code on the badge?
    Last edited by davep; 09-06-2013 at 08:55 AM.

I think the production number serves much the same purpose as the build # for the engines. The production number is used primarily as a reference for the body and paint shops. Any changes to body panels or paint batches can be more easily referenced to being before or after a particular production number. They were building over 10,000 bodies (about 15,000 in 1973) when this started in 1969, so I think they required more control over body production.

I don't think there were any body differences related to Sporto production. I can see batches of sunroof or RHD configuration being done. I would expect that painting was done in batches to some extent to reduce cleaning up between colors.

To put things in a bit of perspective, #475 is about 6% into production of coupe bodies and 988 is about 34% into production of T coupes. At a rate of about 8.3% per month that would be about 14 weeks late. That is a long time to be sitting around.

You are not going to find any correlations between individual models in production numbers for a model year . There are none. The production number is just the number in line of all the models of that body type & year combined. As far as I know , the only differant groups of 911 model production numbers per year are coupes & targas (& whenever replacement bodies...one group : coupe , another : targa..... started using this numbering system ....only starting with zero).

For instance , some 73 RS's with lower serial numbers than the S model shown above have higher production numbers. And quite probably some RSR's , could possibly have higher production numbers than RS's with lower numbers.

Chassis No: 911 360 0307 R3
    Prod. No: 103 3677
    Last edited by peekaboo; 09-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    R1 and R2 73 prototype RS's(RSR) have 103____ 73 production numbers but they used a 72 chassis with oil flap door
    The production numbers were over the 1000 mark as well. So either they had some old 72 bodies around that had no production numbers stamped, or they were purpose built with the doors in place for the specific application.

The RSR bodies tended to be built in small batches of consecutive production numbers.

v123 ,

Since you asked why did they start using Production numbers . I do not know the answer , but they used something of the sort alot earlier than most folks know of . Prior to whenever Porsche started the underdash Production number (which I believe is 1969, but I think it is a differant numbering system for the first 3 digits . Then switches to the more well known system in 1970MY). There were some earlier production type numbers used (or at least numbers differant than VIN). But they were stamped in other locations and were seemingly used by the Karmann plant only on Karmann bodies . I can't remember exactly what corresponds with what year without looking at my notes. But in 1969 , besides the production number under the dash there is a third number on the shift tunnel opening . And in 1966 , a number next to the speaker hole on the dash (I cannot remember if this corresponds to the VIN or is a separate unique number ...I believe it is unique number).

I cannot remember for certain if 1967 & 68 Karmann bodies also have tunnel numbers , but I think so. And I do not know about 1965 or 1966 Karmann tunnel numbers but I DO NOT think so . Or , do I know about 1965 Karmann speaker hole numbers. But it seems likely they have them.

I have some of it noted slightly better somewhere . And I believe Dave P. has looked into it somewhat . So far I have never heard anyone with a Reutter built 911/912 body , having a number in either of these locations. So , if this is the case (Karmann only) , they would be applicable to 911(s) for the 1969 & 1969MY's only (at least the tunnel). But then again, I have never checked the tunnel of a post 1969 Karmann built 911.

I know this is one more thing to think about / ponder of many already. And I don't intentionially wish to overload anyones circuits . But it is fact , at least for 912's . I have not checked a 1968-69 Karmann 911 model , but I would not see why one and not the other .

Here's a photo of a tunnel stamp from a 1969 Karmann body 912 (again this number is differant than both the under dash AND trunk stamp numbers) . And Dave P , or someone else can hopefully explain the 1969 underdash numbering system. 1969 912 OR 911 is not well known to me:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by peekaboo; 09-12-2011 at 01:30 PM.