Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: '67 Hotrod

FS: '67 Hotrod

Not my car. Appears to be worth a closer look if in the market for a SWB coupe hotrod. I like the fact that the owner wants to sell to another enthusiast and the previous owner to him still drives the car from time to time. I get the feeling that he's interviewing for a new steward for the car rather than the best deal. I for one hope he finds the right buyer and if it came time for me to let my '73 go I would hope that I would follow a similar path.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1522wt_1167

-Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Really sweet car. I wonder if it's in my range? What do you think a car like that (a really well-done 912 conversion) will bring?

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    If he's interviewing E-Bay sure isn't the place. That is UNLESS, he's going to end it early, pay the fee and sell it "out of trust" (so-to-speak). Happens all the time.

I've heard of a few bikes that went for a lot more money due to their rarity and the desire of the buyer to pay M O R E. (1)Seller and buyer reach an agreement. (2)The seller kills the auction and it passes hands off the books. (3)The IRS has no record of the final sale price.

So what E-Bay becomes is your classified listing and you pay a fee to advertise.

Slick, eh?

Tom
    Check the link with in the ad: http://www.porscheperfect.com/2011/0...m-ebay-motors/

This guy (seller) works for Ebay! I LOVE this 912/911... check out the youtube of it at Lagua Seca where it eats up a Cayman S

Eaton imo the car is worth the parts on it and not much more. In spite of what the seller claims it is NOT a 911, was never 'turned into' a 911, cannot be insured as a 911 and will not fetch 911 money from an educated buyer.

Pretty car either way.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

Berettafan If that's the case, I'd be pleased. That's precisely my problem -- I don't have 911 money. I've been looking for a nice conversion for a while.

May not be a 'real' 911, but in this case who cares? You're buying what the car can do and how it looks doing it, not how it's titled. As to current value, there seems to be a lot of similarity between this car's build and the one Scooter recently put on the market. He's asking $28.5 and seems to have a lot of interest in his car at that price, if not already sold. As to insurance, meh, pay for an agreed-value policy.

This is a common practice and up front you'd think he's selling a 911 until you keep reading. It's almost as bad as 912 sellers try to sell you that a 912 is actually better than a 911. Then there is the replica Speedster sellers trying the same gimmick. Really, doesn't work well and my advice would be dump the money into a 911 and NEVER a 912.
    Last edited by juche_namja; 09-12-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

The person writing the check cares if he is giving thought as to the safety of his investment. Don't agree that you don't buy based on title. If that were the case this would be the 'Early 911 with anything better than a 12lbs per hp ratio registry'. It might be a fantastic car (with a few very minor changes) but it would be a fantastic bastard and as such should, imo, be worth xx% of parts cost and x% of labor cost in it. There is no 'goodwill' to be earned on this car imo.

Do you not have to show comps when setting an agreed upon value policy? Can't imagine Haggerty is going to put a $30k policy on a non matching 912 but maybe so.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

FWIW i think the owner is an !@#$$%^& for advertising it as a 911 (not to mention the waaay over the top ad) and wouldn't buy it for $10k just on principle. It is being intentionally marketed to a less educated Porsche buyer and that is no mistake. Eaton, that is one pretty color though. LOVE the non-metallic deep gray. Saw it at a benz lot years ago and still dream of an E320 in that color. You certainly won't know it's a 912 when you're behind the wheel.
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 09-12-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

This is an interesting topic which is often discussed in Sports Car Market. While I agree that in the case of cars like this it is important to not misrepresent them, I do believe they have a place. For example the spate of Ferraris built to replicate those true cars which have become too valuable to drive. Heck, they're too valuable to modify from 'original'. Like it or not in our own hobby we value and prize originality when it comes to value, yet drool over cars that show a level of personalization and original thinking on the part of the owner.

When the price of early 911s becomes prohibitive the market will embrace cars like the 912 which will continue to allow modification and enjoyment but not at the cost of end value.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am in the midst of my own 'conversion'. Those of you who know me may recall that I was looking (fruitlessly) for a nice '67 911 to imprint my own ideas on. Everything I looked at started at $25k and needed lots of work (read money). Instead, I found a nice rust-free California 912 in the exact color I wanted for a fraction of the price. Even after buying a period correct 911 motor and converting the mechanicals I had plenty left over before I got close to that $25k number. I even splurged for deep 6's and 7R's and have dough to spare.

My point is, we can chose to look down our noses at these cars, or we can choose to view them as a less expensive entry point into our hobby. I say the more the merrier before this hobby becomes one for only the wealthy. At the end of the day is stuffing a 3.0L motor in a '72 911 less of a 'sacrilege'?

JMHO.

Mike