Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collective wisdom from the group 1976 Turbo

Collective wisdom from the group 1976 Turbo

I am in touch with a 76 Turbo- thinking of doing a RS hot rod with it. The motor is tired, would need a new power plant.
    the car is in very good shape, save the motor
    the question is would it be worth more as a turbo?
    and
    what is the car worth now? no rust solid car good paint and complete
    I have an idea of 911 prices but not the turbos and not one like this- so
    many thanks
    rpsurfr

“Every man's life ends the same way.
    It is only the details of how he lived, and how he died that distinguish one man from another.”
    Hemmingway.

09 Audi S3
    71 911
    79 930
    81 930 Ruf
    98 911
    66 Mustang GT 350
    08 K2500
    28 various European Motorcycles
    1 bicycle

That case is gold. You can make a 2.8 short stroke with it. I would leave it wide body and strip it like a track car, then build said 2.8ss.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I think it would be worth more as a turbo. 1. In general terms of value, stock trumps hot rod and 2. the 3.0 litre turbo's seem to be getting some colllectability lately.

I'd rebuild the motor and either regear the 4 speed or add a 915 (and keep the 4 speed in a box for sale time).
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

so what would you place as a value on this chassis at the top range.
    rpsurfr

“Every man's life ends the same way.
    It is only the details of how he lived, and how he died that distinguish one man from another.”
    Hemmingway.

09 Audi S3
    71 911
    79 930
    81 930 Ruf
    98 911
    66 Mustang GT 350
    08 K2500
    28 various European Motorcycles
    1 bicycle

$20,000 to $25,000 as a quick sale.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

The 76 & 77 Turbo's are getting pretty valuable, I would not build a hot rod out of one of these unless car was trashed. If car is solid and correct and just needs a motor rebuild I'd say it's a $30k car w/o much thought.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    The 76 & 77 Turbo's are getting pretty valuable, I would not build a hot rod out of one of these unless car was trashed. If car is solid and correct and just needs a motor rebuild I'd say it's a $30k car w/o much thought.
    Phil
    Sage advice. If it's a nice, stock, unmolested 3.0L Turbo I'd do the following:

1) rebuild the motor with 8.5:1 static compression.
    2) install 930 brakes so the car stops
    3) enjoy it

The 3.0L Turbos are gorgeous with the small tails and wide hips. The lack of an intercooler kind of limits you in terms of performance mods like a bigger turbocharger or a stiffer wastegate spring (more boost pressure). Bumping static compression will give you a bit more kick around town off boost, but the nice thing about the 3.0L is their lighter clutch assembly (compared to the 3.3L cars) which allows them to rev quicker and subsequently make boost quicker. The quick spool up makes them fun around town, but they're done being fun north of 110mph ecause they just don't have much on the big end. That said, they're geared for roughly 100mph at redline in 2nd so they can be a hoot through the canyons ... hence the need for larger brakes.

I would not add a 915 trans for a couple of reasons, but the two main ones are 1) the gears are too short to make proper use of the Turbo's powerband and 2) the trans is not as strong as a 930 trans and is more likely to self destruct when beat upon by a turbo motor. Now, if you want to build a custom 915 with long gears you could do that, or go out and source a RUF turbo 5-speed, although I think that's strictly for the '78 and later long-bellhousing Turbos.

If you do plan to mess with the look of the car I agree with Raj, 934.5 bodykit all the way.

Max, don't be so quick to hack up an early turbo motor to get the case for a short stroke N/A motor. That's a short-sighted position that doesn't take into account what the 3.0L cars actually are in their own right, nor does it address their escalating value.
    Last edited by Mr9146; 09-15-2011 at 09:07 PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

When I read his initial post I had envisioned him thinking it was a parts car or something to pass on since the motor was tired. I was just informing him that even a tired 3.0 turbo is worth a good bit for its unique capability to make a 2.8 ss.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I would agree with Phil and Marco these cars mark a significant transition in Porsche production and will only become more valuable.

While rare when new, many doctors in So Cali made them more so with shortened rear ends.

65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Restore - and add one of these...

http://www.aerocharger.com/kits_porsche_930.php

Despite the regular brakes, lower capacity, lack of an intercooler, lower power etc there is just something cool about the 3.0 turbos.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus